My eyes and cheeks have swollen so badly that I look like an Orangutan! Is this supposed to happen? Do I need to do anything or just wait for it to go away? Hopefully it's not permanent!

Thanks

Jjarden,

Post-operative swelling is a normal and temporary side effect following a hair transplant.

Have you been keeping your head stabilized and elevated at a 45 degree angle during sleep?

You can apply an ice pack to alleviate some of the pressure, but make sure you avoid touching the recipient site with it.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Yeah..I had swelling too for a couple of days after my procedure. Like youngsuccess said, sleeping with your head elevated (I actually slept in a recliner for 3 days) and carefully applying ice will help reduced your swelling.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Swelling is normal and uncomfortable! I slept at a 45 degree angle for 3 or 4 days post-op, and I used an ice pack on my forehead and donor area.

I also decided to start taking Ibuprofen post-op day 3 or 4. Ibuprofen is an NSAID and really helps decrease inflammation/swelling. However, I would talk to your doctor before taking Ibuprofen.

I had REALLY bad swelling in the days following my procedure (2/18/10). It was the one part of the recovery I had not thought would be a problem. At its worse, I actually thought my right eye would be swollen shut, but after about 3 days it all cleared up, just as my doctor said it would. Hey, if the HT result is good in the end, the swelling is a small price to pay...Good luck!!

Sorry to hear that. It is only temporary. After my HT they sent me home with refreezable ice packs and told me to start icing my forehead and bridge of my nose as a precaution against swelling. Fortunately I had zero swelling. I wonder why some people get it and others don't.

1st HT: 3271 Grafts (6167 Total Hairs) with Dr. Ron Shapiro on 15 Jan 2009: 31cm length strip x 1.75cm width (1's - 835, 2's - 2000, 3's - 412, 4's - 24)

2nd HT: 2631 Grafts (4574 Total Hairs) with Dr. Ron Shapiro on 10 Aug 2010: 34cm length strip x 1.7cm width (1's - 943, 2's - 1440, 3's - 241, 4's - 7)

• 1 year later...

I looked hilarious when I swelled.. fortunately it was not on the front of my face, but I had big bulges (really big) slowly moving down the side of my head in front of my ears. I looked like a chipmunk, and each day it moved down about 2 inches, until it disappeared after about 3-4 days. I wish I took pictures now.