Thinking of stopping Minoxidil

Reiner123

Hello! Apologies for the ramble, but I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this predicament I’m in.

I started using Fin at age 21 as I noticed my hairline was starting to go, couple years go by and I’m certain it’s halted my hairloss and made everything thicker - I didn’t start Min at the same time because I didn’t want to commit to it.

Covid/lockdown then happened and I discovered r/minoxbeards - decided to start applying Min to my beard area and got good results (although I’m aware Fin slows beard growth down due to lower DHT etc).

After realising applying wasn’t THAT much of a pain I thought I’d began applying to my hair to regrow what I initially lost, now that Fin has stabilised the hair on my head.

It’s now 16 or so months later and I’m fairly certain there’s been some thin/whispy growth on my hairline, still not fully recovered however.

Over the course of the 16 months I began applying it less and less, originally 2x a day, to 1x a day and then eventually just 3-4x a week - haven’t really noticed any change in my hair.

Over the last month I’ve decided I’m going to get a hair transplant later this year (never thought I would due to the ‘stigma’ but I realise how little people would care, so I’m gonna do it).

By chance, where I order it from had supply issues so I ran out of Minoxidil roughly 3 weeks ago so haven’t been using it, my order arrived today but I’m hesitant to start using it again - I just don’t want to be stuck applying this foam for the rest of my life, if I can just get the transplant and then continue on Fin to maintain what I’ve got, I think that’s the best plan for me.

Essentially, once I’ve had the transplant, I want to be done with the hassle of applying Min, not only the hassle, but it’s definitely aged my skin in terms of wrinkles and dark circles (I’m aware I was also applying it to my beard, but the point still stands).

I know oral min is an option, but aside from the heart-related side effects, wouldn’t I still experience the sides I mentioned above?

tl;dr - been using Fin for 4 years with pretty good results, added Min to regime but now wanting to stop after ~16 months as I’m getting a hair transplant later this year.

• Administrators

Minoxidil and finasteride have a synergistic effect. Combining both is always optimal.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I must be one of the rare cases where Minoxidil dries the scalp. I tried using conditioner following - though the dryness and itchy sensations became unbearable. Big shame as my Finasteride regime is becoming less effective after 4 years.