Is this where my hairline used to be?!

Good morning all! Not sure you can make it out but I’m pulling a hair that’s lower down than my thinning hairline. You can see where the skin is being pulled…. I’ve a few of them. Does this suggest that this is where my hairline was, at some point?! 

IMG_8787.jpeg

Not necessarily. The hairline is not a straight line and there are always some hairs that grow outside the straight line. 

Even doctors try to add hair lower than the actual hairline in order to simulate a natural hairline.

30 minutes ago, Xanadu said:

Not necessarily. The hairline is not a straight line and there are always some hairs that grow outside the straight line. 

Even doctors try to add hair lower than the actual hairline in order to simulate a natural hairline.

Not 2 cm below the rest of the hairline lol.. no one grows hair except for velus hairs there except for people with legitimate hypertrichosis

I’m trying to find an old picture to establish the answer! It’s quite a big gap! 

7 minutes ago, Berik said:

Not 2 cm below the rest of the hairline lol.. no one grows hair except for velus hairs there except for people with legitimate hypertrichosis

@Otis james,

That very well could be an indicator that your hairline used to start from that point. However, it’s true that individual hairs can be found below the original Hairline.  Some people refer to these hairs as stragglers.

Do you have any photographs of yourself before experiencing any hair loss, or hairline recession?  Because if so, that would be the best way to determine the placement of your original Hairline.

Now, if you’re considering hair, transplant surgery, the surgeon will design a new hairline that often resembles the original one.  However, sometimes this can vary, depending on the patient’s needs and goals.  Surgeons should work with patients to design a hairline together and one that ultimately the patient is satisfied with.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

7 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Otis james,

That very well could be an indicator that your hairline used to start from that point. However, it’s true that individual hairs can be found below the original Hairline.  Some people refer to these hairs as stragglers.

Do you have any photographs of yourself before experiencing any hair loss, or hairline recession?  Because if so, that would be the best way to determine the placement of your original Hairline.

Now, if you’re considering hair, transplant, surgery, the surgeon will design a new hairline that  often resembles the original one, but sometimes can vary, depending on the patient needs and goals.  Surgeons should work with a patient to design a hairline together and one that ultimately the patient is satisfied with.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

I’ve just managed to find a pic! It’s not terribly detailed though. I’m 39 now so I was 23 in that photo. 
Im booked in the Dr Bruno Pinto, early next year and im trying to get an idea of what we will design… my main issue is how big my forehead looks, due to the thinning! The amount of thinning I have might not bother me so much if what’s left of my hairline was lower down! 

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8641.jpeg

8 hours ago, Otis james said:

I’m trying to find an old picture to establish the answer! It’s quite a big gap! 

Yes, do that. He is right that hairs rarely stray 2 cm from the main hairline, but my point is that the original hairline doesn't have to have been where that stray hair is - it could have been higher, because that may just be a stray hair. Sometimes stray hairs can be a half or a cm lower than the main hairline. 

But that hair may not have been a stray, it may have been in the hairline, or even behind the hairline. So there really is no way of knowing whether the original hair line was higher or lower than that hair. Most likely somewhere between that hair and a bit higher. But if you find some pics you can probably tell. 

Also, if you look at where your forehead muscles stop, it's probably in that range.

Edited by Xanadu