Consultant about Norwood 5 hair loss

Hi I just exposed about transplant for long time (several years)and read a lot about different doctor and attitudes to transplant but still can't get a decision ,I think I somewhere between Norwood 5-6 .I just exposed to this wonderful community and I will love to  get a recommendation from guys about my situation and recommendation for doctors as well. My budget for all the process(think that Ive to get two transplant) stand  on 8000 euro . 

Wish the best, gal

IMG-20230321-WA0050.jpg

IMG-20230321-WA0053.jpg

IMG-20230321-WA0049.jpg

IMG-20230321-WA0054.jpg

IMG-20230321-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20230321-WA0051.jpg

@galOren

I think it’s good that you’ve been doing your research. So since you have stated you’ve been researching hair transplant surgery and have been a part of this community for years, where have you gotten so far? Have you consult with any doctors? Have you decided on undergoing a procedure?  What have doctors said about your particular case and possibly how many grafts you would need versus what you have available?

As I’m sure you’re aware from your research, hair transplant surgery is about supply versus demand. You have a lot of existing thinning and as a result you won’t have enough donor hair available to restore a full head of hair.  But, that’s not to say that something can’t be done to produce a significant cosmetic improvement.  It’s hard to tell by your photos of your donor area. It appears to be average to maybe potentially below average   This is why I’m curious to hear what doctors have said if you have consulted with any.

So at this point, the two things you really need to determine are whether or not you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery and if you want to proceed with it (I’m considering these one thing because they’re very much related) and if you are proceeding, which doctor/clinic you’ve decided on.

So to help you with your research, I provided some steps below which I post pretty often regarding the best ways to ultimately find the best surgeon for you.

Rahal Hair Transplant

How to Select an outstanding hair transplant surgeon. 

1.  Start by looking at the surgeons recommended by this community, in particular the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.  Surgeons recommended by this community have met a demanding set of standards and are approved based on meeting those high standards.  Many online hair surgeon memberships don’t have any criteria other than to pay a membership fee.  Furthermore, physician members of the coalition have met an even higher and more demanding set of standards and have proven to be amongst the best of the best in the profession.

2. Now even amongst a list of outstanding surgeons, not all surgeons are created equally. Therefore, while it’s tempting to select a surgeon based on price or location, try to avoid this as many individuals travel great distances to undergo surgery with an elite surgeon they are most impressed with. Thus choose a surgeon based on their proven ability to produce outstanding results rather than because of cost or location.

3. Narrow your selection down to 3 to 5 surgeons you are most impressed with.  You can do this by using this discussion forum and others to view examples of patient results posted by both the clinic and their patients.  Speak with and meet with real patients in person if possible. If not, video chat works pretty well.

4. Come up with a list of consult questions to ask each surgeon/clinic you are considering. I’ve created several different posts on this forum with good questions to ask doctors.  If you need help coming up with a list of good questions, please let me know.

5. Consult with each doctor you are considering and ultimately, choose the surgeon you feel can best meet your goals.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

23 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@galOren

I think it’s good that you’ve been doing your research. So since you have stated you’ve been researching hair transplant surgery and have been a part of this community for years, where have you gotten so far? Have you consult with any doctors? Have you decided on undergoing a procedure?  What have doctors said about your particular case and possibly how many grafts you would need versus what you have available?

As I’m sure you’re aware from your research, hair transplant surgery is about supply versus demand. You have a lot of existing thinning and as a result you won’t have enough donor hair available to restore a full head of hair.  But, that’s not to say that something can’t be done to produce a significant cosmetic improvement.  It’s hard to tell by your photos of your donor area. It appears to be average to maybe potentially below average   This is why I’m curious to hear what doctors have said if you have consulted with any.

So at this point, the two things you really need to determine are whether or not you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery and if you want to proceed with it (I’m considering these one thing because they’re very much related) and if you are proceeding, which doctor/clinic you’ve decided on.

So to help you with your research, I provided some steps below which I post pretty often regarding the best ways to ultimately find the best surgeon for you.

Rahal Hair Transplant

How to Select an outstanding hair transplant surgeon. 

1.  Start by looking at the surgeons recommended by this community, in particular the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.  Surgeons recommended by this community have met a demanding set of standards and are approved based on meeting those high standards.  Many online hair surgeon memberships don’t have any criteria other than to pay a membership fee.  Furthermore, physician members of the coalition have met an even higher and more demanding set of standards and have proven to be amongst the best of the best in the profession.

2. Now even amongst a list of outstanding surgeons, not all surgeons are created equally. Therefore, while it’s tempting to select a surgeon based on price or location, try to avoid this as many individuals travel great distances to undergo surgery with an elite surgeon they are most impressed with. Thus choose a surgeon based on their proven ability to produce outstanding results rather than because of cost or location.

3. Narrow your selection down to 3 to 5 surgeons you are most impressed with.  You can do this by using this discussion forum and others to view examples of patient results posted by both the clinic and their patients.  Speak with and meet with real patients in person if possible. If not, video chat works pretty well.

4. Come up with a list of consult questions to ask each surgeon/clinic you are considering. I’ve created several different posts on this forum with good questions to ask doctors.  If you need help coming up with a list of good questions, please let me know.

5. Consult with each doctor you are considering and ultimately, choose the surgeon you feel can best meet your goals.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant 

First of all TNX for your detailed comment I really appreciate it .

Till now I mostly based on recomandition and results that Ive seen In my country and mainly in turkey, I will state some of the suggestion that I get from the doctors.

Dr serkan aygin(turkey)- two transplant first one for the forehead and mid with 4400 grafts and one more after one half year for the mid ,It was worth to mention that serkan actually don't take part in the surgeon but its technicians ,even though I heard a lot of people that go to do in his clinic,dhi method.

Dr levenet acar(turkey)-one mega session ,5000 grafts day after day , as well base on technicians,his clinic state that he is one of the most popular on the world and it's seems that he developed state of the are techniques for transplant ( dhi that envolve micro sphere) .

Dr ilker apayden(turkey)- 3600 grafts ,2000 front,1000 mid 600 crown ,fue method ,Dr ilker done the opening of the chanels by him self,one of the most popular in my country , but actually his representative in my country said to me not to expect to great result even after 2 preseadure .

Dr arslan musbach(turkey)-3500 grafts ,the extraction and the open of canales done by arsaln himself,fue method .

Dhi global group ( Greece) - several doctors that are establish center over the world (as they say at least) ,and as the name state do theire operation with dhi,get a suggestion for 2 day operation,mega session,3600-4000 grafts ,say that I will get full cover(strange for me according the number but ok).

LHR clinc(Lisbon)-4000 grafts.

Dr yaman(turkey)- doesn't have representative in my country- get two option for one day till 4000 or two day mega session with 6000,I saw it is part that of IHARS association which only few get in.

Dr mars ( Cyprus)- start with 4000 grafts first operation 3000 on front and 1000 on mid without crown for the first,saw he is really considered doctor.

Also think to try to talk with hlc and asmed clinc( koray ardogan) which seems that he has pretty good results for advanced Norwood situations ,but he is not really affordable. 

I really have douts about two things ,

First I heard about the affects of shock less when too much grafts are harvested and ,but I see results of doctors that seems good (acar,Zara(even though they don't the same level)) so I don't sure what to think about it ,does it is better for me two divide for 2,3 operations or i can take into consider the option of mega session.

Second ,i get a consultant from some doctor the foucs at the first on the mid and front but my real problem is the crown and I afraid if I  do only on the frontal area it will emphasis the differences between the mid and front,and other doctor recommended to me to do the operation more homogamous (like ilker) ,not sure what the best way to go with.

I would love to hear about your opinions,

Best regards 

I was Norwood 5. 

The approach we took was 3100 grafts in my first surgery. The spread of graft density decreased as they moved back towards my crown.

The result is natural looking, so the change in density is just enough for it to look like it's age related thinning of my crown.

I don't feel like a 2nd surgery is needed (but I do want to have one). It's an opportunity to find any weaknesses, add more density to the hairline and of course address the crown. 

If I had my time over, I wouldn't change the approach at all. 

IMG_20211204_225234.thumb.jpg.7871459930ea09cd41bbd4712999c159.jpg

IMG_20230216_103212.thumb.jpg.c525127b72bf1d5fd7d982736f41db57.jpg

IMG_20230305_153350.thumb.jpg.912fa8de20d8ccb7d4add700a2f8d8d6.jpg

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
Clarity

7 minutes ago, galOren said:

@BackFromTheBrink seems that we have simñare pattern of baldness ,even that im not sure if our donor is similar.

Where you talked your HT?

We have (or had). It seems you have more loss in the crown but less in the midscalp and frontal third.

I had my transplant at the Hair Dr.

For donor, you must have a good donor if you're being quoted such high graft counts in one session. I did suffer significant shock loss in the donor but can now wear it shaved to a 1 guard.

40 minutes ago, galOren said:

@DHT u have reccomandition for more affordable options ? Make estimated budget for all process is 8000 euro

The challenge is that you have significant loss. That will mean a high graft count and a skilled surgeon who can manage your donor to extract the required amount and place in a way to give the illusion of density. Neither of those come cheaply.

Is there a possibility you could save more money for a second surgery or is 8k the absolute maximum?

Have you had your hair assessed to ensure your donor will support your objectives? Are you on meds (to potentially save grafts required)?

14 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I was Norwood 5. 

The approach we took was 3100 grafts in my first surgery. The spread of graft density decreased as they moved back towards my crown.

The result is natural looking, so the change in density is just enough for it to look like it's age related thinning of my crown.

I don't feel like a 2nd surgery is needed (but I do want to have one). It's an opportunity to find any weaknesses, add more density to the hairline and of course address the crown. 

If I had my time over, I wouldn't change the approach at all. 

IMG_20211204_225234.thumb.jpg.7871459930ea09cd41bbd4712999c159.jpg

IMG_20230216_103212.thumb.jpg.c525127b72bf1d5fd7d982736f41db57.jpg

IMG_20230305_153350.thumb.jpg.912fa8de20d8ccb7d4add700a2f8d8d6.jpg

Where did you get yours done?

12 hours ago, galOren said:

The max that I would maby get is 10k euro ,I not look to go for doctor like zarav and or Dr. Coll that are the elite of the elite I look for one that will good value for money and can give me good result.

I'm guessing you'll need 5000 grafts, so up to 2 euro per graft. There's a table on here with doctors and costs which will allow you to narrow down potential doctors. It's a tight budget but there will be some reputable doctors that are within reach. Eugenix were mentioned by others, and they have a range of packages, some of which will be affordable. There are a handful of reputable Turkish doctors that will be in reach too. 

17 hours ago, galOren said:

First of all TNX for your detailed comment I really appreciate it .

Till now I mostly based on recomandition and results that Ive seen In my country and mainly in turkey, I will state some of the suggestion that I get from the doctors.

Dr serkan aygin(turkey)- two transplant first one for the forehead and mid with 4400 grafts and one more after one half year for the mid ,It was worth to mention that serkan actually don't take part in the surgeon but its technicians ,even though I heard a lot of people that go to do in his clinic,dhi method.

Dr levenet acar(turkey)-one mega session ,5000 grafts day after day , as well base on technicians,his clinic state that he is one of the most popular on the world and it's seems that he developed state of the are techniques for transplant ( dhi that envolve micro sphere) .

Dr ilker apayden(turkey)- 3600 grafts ,2000 front,1000 mid 600 crown ,fue method ,Dr ilker done the opening of the chanels by him self,one of the most popular in my country , but actually his representative in my country said to me not to expect to great result even after 2 preseadure .

Dr arslan musbach(turkey)-3500 grafts ,the extraction and the open of canales done by arsaln himself,fue method .

Dhi global group ( Greece) - several doctors that are establish center over the world (as they say at least) ,and as the name state do theire operation with dhi,get a suggestion for 2 day operation,mega session,3600-4000 grafts ,say that I will get full cover(strange for me according the number but ok).

LHR clinc(Lisbon)-4000 grafts.

Dr yaman(turkey)- doesn't have representative in my country- get two option for one day till 4000 or two day mega session with 6000,I saw it is part that of IHARS association which only few get in.

Dr mars ( Cyprus)- start with 4000 grafts first operation 3000 on front and 1000 on mid without crown for the first,saw he is really considered doctor.

Also think to try to talk with hlc and asmed clinc( koray ardogan) which seems that he has pretty good results for advanced Norwood situations ,but he is not really affordable. 

I really have douts about two things ,

First I heard about the affects of shock less when too much grafts are harvested and ,but I see results of doctors that seems good (acar,Zara(even though they don't the same level)) so I don't sure what to think about it ,does it is better for me two divide for 2,3 operations or i can take into consider the option of mega session.

Second ,i get a consultant from some doctor the foucs at the first on the mid and front but my real problem is the crown and I afraid if I  do only on the frontal area it will emphasis the differences between the mid and front,and other doctor recommended to me to do the operation more homogamous (like ilker) ,not sure what the best way to go with.

I would love to hear about your opinions,

Best regards 

You have a huge area to cover so you need a lot of grafts.
Doctors that could give you a good result at a Decent price between 1.0-1.5 euro/graft would be dr yaman dr Gur, dr turan and dr demirsoy.
You could send them an email and see what they suggest to you. Good luck!

• Valued Contributor

You will need more thn 5k grafts evn if you go for a conservative hairline ..so choose someone whos donor management is good...according to your budge i would suggest you to consider following doctors

Dr turan,dr gur,dr yaman,dr das(eugnix),hdc clinic , dr laorwong ..this all are good budget surgeons you can consider ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

59 minutes ago, Hairtransplanted82 said:

Hello mate

In your situation and budget you should stop the research for now 

for more info talk with me 

Can you explain this ambiguous comment? I’m perplexed 🤔 

There is alot of area to cover on the vertex.

Would u take the chance to use a mass of grafts on the vertex? which takes at least a year and a half to grow. 

on this budget you must find a doctor which could maximize the loss of grafts if you would lose 15% of 5000 grafts 

it would be bad 

ao on this budget there isn't a doctor that could suits you

increase the budget and grow your hair 

I am also a NW5 (albeit a diffused one) but your case seems a lot much agressive then mine. I would really be cautious on your choices here because as you mentioned you are heading towards a NW6 and have a lot to cover on the frontal and crown section. 

Probably something around 5k grafts would be the minimum required to have an acceptable level of coverage which would require you to chose someone who does high norwoods. I would honestly up the budget a little because you can still get a decent result in case you chose a top tier clinic.

1 minute ago, galOren said:

@TheGreatPretender can u reccomand about doctors that specialized at high norwood ,beside zarav which is very expensive 

Sethi from eugenix and Bicer seem to be a good fit, also Pittela and Hattingen. De Freitas, Couto, Pinto and Ferreira also come to mind but they may require 2 spaced interventions.