Starting to see minor recession around temples. Looking for advice. Pics included.

21 in a monh. I have obvious genetic predisposition for hair loss (father is bald). I haven't lost much hair myself but I want to be proactive about it by starting low doses of finasteride. I can get my hands on 5 mg. What dose would you recommend me to take to minimize chances of sides?
image.jpeg.dc95662d88eac026509de80741b6050f.jpegimage.jpeg.17a8f2de34a125ecc798a79721696281.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d655604fc36900fe2e3d6c38d5b11f6f.jpeg

wet hair
image.jpeg.8afbc8166b832a16cbfd4aff5365e26b.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

You can consult a good surgeon and can start medication after consulting him/her - 1mg finasteride 4 days a week and 2.5 mg minoxidil evryday to start with....

Evryone dont get side effects ..thr are only very few percentage of people who would get side effects and if you are one of them thn you can alter doses and still if the side effect persists thn you can stop a particular drug and it will undone its effects ....

• Like 1
  • Face Palm 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Imagine you are a 40 year old bald, Norwood 7 with a thankfully strong donor. You shell out tens of thousands of dollars and 2 years of your life to get a whopping 10000 grafts over 2 surgeries, ending up with a decent looking head of hair with a big forehead and some recession. Then you meet a futuristic scientist who completely heals your scars and regrows all the hair on your donor, and gives you another 8000 grafts out of nowhere , which grows perfectly, giving you the densest hair and the most natural, strongest hairline you could hope for.

Thats basically where you are now. Keep what you have and you may never wish to have it back. Looks great. You do not need surgery. Take finasteride if you want to keep the hair. If you wait for it to recede more before starting, you’d need surgery if you wanted to restore the look you have now because meds do not work well on bald, receded areas. 

• Like 2

I agree with Rafael. Take finasteride and minoxidil to preserve your hair. The best outcome you can have is keeping your already perfect hairline with medications.

Don't listen to Mike btw, there are plenty of old men with hairlines like yours (Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and a very long etc), the term "mature" hairline is non sense.

• Like 1
  • Face Palm 1

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

• Valued Contributor

@mallobaude you're hair looks great! See your GP for a script for finasteride. Who said you were guaranteed to get side effects? If, and I mean if you do, then you can try micro dosing or topical finasteride or minoxidil. Don't waste the best years of your life (like I did) stressing over something that doesn't exist and hasn't happened. All the best!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Archan said:

You can consult a good surgeon and can start medication after consulting him/her - 1mg finasteride 4 days a week and 2.5 mg minoxidil evryday to start with....

Evryone dont get side effects ..thr are only very few percentage of people who would get side effects and if you are one of them thn you can alter doses and still if the side effect persists thn you can stop a particular drug and it will undone its effects ....

Hi Archan, I have stopped the particular drug years ago and still have side effects . What should I do now ?

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Hi Archan, I have stopped the particular drug years ago and still have side effects . What should I do now ?

The effects of the drug go away after few days once we stop..thts hw it works...whn i started i consulted many doctors and evryone infact said that ...dnt knw wht happened with you..bt you may consult an experienced doctor and see wht can be done...

--> My Thread

1 hour ago, Archan said:

The effects of the drug go away after few days once we stop..thts hw it works...whn i started i consulted many doctors and evryone infact said that ...dnt knw wht happened with you..bt you may consult an experienced doctor and see wht can be done...

That’s not how it is for everyone, the sides can be permanent for some after discontinuing the drug.. I think it’s so naive to recommend someone to take a drug that alters your hormones when they are 21 and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with there hair.

• Valued Contributor

I nvr recommend drugs to anyone ..whnevr i suggest some medicines i always mention to consult a good doctor and thn you can start it after doctor's advice ....

You can read my earlier post again tht i clearly mentioned to consult a good doctor first....

If the guy who posted over here would have been happy with his hair thn obviously he wouldn't have started ths thread ...plus he is worried as he has family history...most of the people who have hairloss issues starts loosing hair at tht so called 20-21 age only and its better to cure whn you start seeing the issue rather thn leting it go on and thn opt for a transplant ....though through images we cannot judge more and we are not experts(doctors) ...we can jst guide thm with our experience and knowledge ...so i said if you facing hair loss and thinking tht you may face an extensive one soon thn you may consult a good doctor....

--> My Thread