Discontinuation of Minoxidil

Hairything

Hello guys,

I have a question regarding applying Minoxidil.

I apply Minoxidil for about 2 years now, I have read that the effect wears off after a certain time. How do I deal with the decreasing effect of Minoxidil? I have not had a hair transplant yet, I plan to have one in the next 2 years.

What is the evidence, what is the best way to proceed? Is it advisable to discontinue minoxidil ever? I think if I let it go now, I will lose a lot of hair, or what is your experience?

Besides minoxidil, I take finasteride and use the dermaroller and apply some vitamnins. I would argue that my hair loss has stabilized.

Thanks for your help!

• Valued Contributor
18 minutes ago, Hairything said:

Hello guys,

I apply Minoxidil for about 2 years now, I have read that the effect wears off after a certain time. How do I deal with the decreasing effect of Minoxidil? I have not had a hair transplant yet, I plan to have one in the next 2 years.

What is the evidence, what is the best way to proceed? Is it advisable to discontinue minoxidil ever? I think if I let it go now, I will lose a lot of hair, or what is your experience?

Besides minoxidil, I take finasteride and use the dermaroller and apply some vitamnins. I would argue that my hair loss has stabilized.

Thanks for your help!

You should continue if you are nt facing any adverse effects ....u will loose the ground covered so far if u stop  medication....so its nt a good idea ..

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

6 hours ago, Hairything said:

Hello guys,

Thanks for your help!

Minoxidil does not decrease in efficacy per sei. Over time your MP gets worse and can counteract the effectiveness. If you stop minoxidil after being on it this long you will likely lose some ground either way

On 2/26/2023 at 10:06 AM, Hairything said:

Hello guys,

Thanks for your help!

Have you seen effectiveness wear off from using minoxidil? Thickness and density should plateau, however maintenance should continue. Everybody is different clearly, but maintenance should last longer. You state you would argue your hair loss stabilized, which implies it’s working still. Why would you stop? 

• 3 weeks later...

I would keep using it since you are planning on getting a transplant. If you discontinue use, you will probably need more grafts which of course we only have so many of.