How many grafts in a system

Rafael Manelli

I'm sure we all know a transplant can never equal the density of a hair system. But I'm curious how many grafts it would take to do so, in theory.

They say normal hair is on average about 100 hairs per cm². Or is it follicular units? I believe the former? Anyway, 50 hairs/cm² is considered high for a transplant. 

Systems come in variable density, of course. I'm going to take a wild guess here 

Light density = 90/cm²

Medium = 130/cm²

Heavy = 200/cm²

I've never seen a heavy density hairpiece that looked natural. Everyone advises against them. Not sure why they make them if not for theatre or women who don't care if it looks natural. I find the labelling system grossly misleading, of course. Heavy in my opinion ought to be a density you'd find on a normal man with thick hair, not something ridiculous.  But I digress. 

How many hairs/cm² do you think are in a system? And how many grafts would it take to equal one? 

Taking a guess, I'd say 23000 grafts on a system that covers the whole nw7 bald area (excluding temple points) 

• Moderators

My NW 7 area is about 400 cm2, so 100 grafts per cm2 would be 40,000 for someone like me.

• Wow 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As a doctor, I must clarify that a hair transplant and a hair system are two different solutions to hair loss. While a hair system may provide immediate density, it is not a permanent solution and requires maintenance and replacements over time. On the other hand, the density achieved through a hair transplant can vary and depends on various factors, including the patient's hair characteristics and the surgeon's technique. It's challenging to give an exact number of hairs per cm². However, your estimates seem reasonable based on what's commonly seen in the industry. As for how many grafts it would take to equal one, a few key factors such as the size of the balding area, the desired density, and the characteristics of the patient's hair should be considered. In general, a hair transplant can achieve to add a density of around 40-50 follicular units per cm², which can be increased with multiple sessions if needed.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 9:45 AM, Dr. Guncel Ozturk said:

As a doctor, I must clarify that a hair transplant and a hair system are two different solutions to hair loss. While a hair system may provide immediate density, it is not a permanent solution and requires maintenance and replacements over time. On the other hand, the density achieved through a hair transplant can vary and depends on various factors, including the patient's hair characteristics and the surgeon's technique. It's challenging to give an exact number of hairs per cm². However, your estimates seem reasonable based on what's commonly seen in the industry. As for how many grafts it would take to equal one, a few key factors such as the size of the balding area, the desired density, and the characteristics of the patient's hair should be considered. In general, a hair transplant can achieve to add a density of around 40-50 follicular units per cm², which can be increased with multiple sessions if needed.

50 grafts per cm² will still be see through in sunlight?