Should I limit my first HT to 3,000 grafts? Pictures attached

Hi there,

28 year old, Norwood 5 (I think? pictures attached) with pretty severe recession in the frontal area. In speaking with Dr. Camacho's clinic, they've recommended 2 separate surgeries - 3,000 to start, and an additional 1,500 - 2,500 after a year.

The clinic has also said that while it *is* an option to extend the surgery to 2 days and do 4,000 grafts at once, they wouldn't recommend it since "it will be more difficult to maximize the donor that way. Also, it can take a toll on you to go for a mega surgery 2 days in a row, a lot of anesthesia and discomfort."

I've seen plenty of people on here who go for 4,000 grafts in a single surgery, and I was wondering if it would be a truly bad idea to ask them for a full 4,000 over 2 days. It will be significantly more difficult to return for a second transplant after a year due to my life/career circumstances, and I would love to accomplish my (somewhat conservative) goals with a single trip if possible. I intend on requesting a conservative/deeper widow's peak hairline (something like this), and am not especially concerned with the thin appearance of my crown so much as filling in the front area that is currently completely bald hold for a small forelock.

I'm not currently on any medications as fin has traditionally produced side effects. I intend on giving it another shot on half dosage and starting minoxidil 3-4 months ahead of surgery.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8206 2.jpeg

IMG_8207 2.jpeg

IMG_8208 2.jpeg

IMG_8209 2.jpeg

IMG_8213 2.jpeg

IMG_8214 2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Rafael Manelli said:

If it were me I’d get it done in one surgery. Your goals seem reasonable. 

what makes you want to choose Dr Camacho?

His clinic only has surgeons work on patients, they only do 1-2 surgeries per day, produce consistently good results, and are much much easier for me to travel to than any other single clinic on the forum's recommended list!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baldythrowaway12345 said:

Hi there,

28 year old, Norwood 5 (I think? pictures attached) with pretty severe recession in the frontal area. In speaking with Dr. Camacho's clinic, they've recommended 2 separate surgeries - 3,000 to start, and an additional 1,500 - 2,500 after a year.

The clinic has also said that while it *is* an option to extend the surgery to 2 days and do 4,000 grafts at once, they wouldn't recommend it since "it will be more difficult to maximize the donor that way. Also, it can take a toll on you to go for a mega surgery 2 days in a row, a lot of anesthesia and discomfort."

I've seen plenty of people on here who go for 4,000 grafts in a single surgery, and I was wondering if it would be a truly bad idea to ask them for a full 4,000 over 2 days. It will be significantly more difficult to return for a second transplant after a year due to my life/career circumstances, and I would love to accomplish my (somewhat conservative) goals with a single trip if possible. I intend on requesting a conservative/deeper widow's peak hairline (something like this), and am not especially concerned with the thin appearance of my crown so much as filling in the front area that is currently completely bald hold for a small forelock.

I'm not currently on any medications as fin has traditionally produced side effects. I intend on giving it another shot on half dosage and starting minoxidil 3-4 months ahead of surgery.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8206 2.jpeg

IMG_8207 2.jpeg

IMG_8208 2.jpeg

IMG_8209 2.jpeg

IMG_8213 2.jpeg

IMG_8214 2.jpeg

You could either do In one sessions or in two separate sessions. There’s nothing wrong to do it in one session and it depends on the clinic you choose. Some clinics don’t do mega sessions, while other do with success 

• Valued Contributor
13 hours ago, baldythrowaway12345 said:

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8206 2.jpeg

IMG_8207 2.jpeg

IMG_8208 2.jpeg

IMG_8209 2.jpeg

IMG_8213 2.jpeg

IMG_8214 2.jpeg

Your donor seems to be good....see you already chosen a doctor after seeing his results and work...imo he is a very good doctor..so i would suggest you tht now you just follow his advice and let him take his decision according to what he feel comfortable with ....he is enough experienced to take this decision and he will do whatever which will be the best thing for you...and best of luck for your sugery and keep updating ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Moderators

My advice is to do 3000 grafts and then go back for another session a year later. Why? Because you're most likely going to be going back again anyway. Look at the numbers. He is telling you you can get 3000 grafts in one day, but if you go two days you will only get 4000 grafts total which is only 1000 more. You'll go through an entire 2nd day of surgery for only 1000 more grafts. Going for two separate procedures may get you a total of 4500 to 5500 grafts. After the 4000 grafts grow in from the two day procedure you'd be going back anyway to try to get another 1000 grafts to fill in some areas, so you'd still be going for two procedures to get the same total amount either way. Do yourself a favor and don't force the Dr to go beyond what he feels may be too many grafts for your donor to handle without looking depleted. Your donor area in the back looks good, but the sides are very thin. That leaves only the back for harvesting grafts from.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.