Advice needed: # grafts

Hi all, I've recently reached out to 6 clinics that I've read are reputable for a HT. However, some clinics are suggesting I do around 2400 grafts, while other clinics suggest as high as 3500 grafts. I'm not sure how to proceed given the vast difference in graft estimation, so wanted to get your thoughts on what would be best for me? All clinics have recommended a FUE/DHI over an FUT

Also, I've been reading about the potential of shock loss (especially for diffuse thinning which I have) and having my existing hairs dying from the HT operation and not growing back. Is this something I need to worry about or can even predict if I will or will not experience this? This is making me a bit hesitant to even get a HT, but not sure if this is a valid concern or not. 

For context, I started thinning 6 years ago, have been on minoxidil for 5 years and finasteride for 2.5 years. Even with these medications my hairline has been receding and has gotten a bit thinner, while I've made some small improvements in the crown area. 

F3AD84C7-166D-4468-A068-CD3F49276794.jpeg

4B0B62DC-2A01-4C06-8C5C-3BCA6BA083F2.jpeg

83ED594A-3E98-48D0-9448-6DE56CC24C8E.jpeg

92539EF7-FEE3-4430-9AE3-BCBAB7B8D003.jpeg

867834DA-91D0-4776-A497-45FFF88E7396.jpeg

1 hour ago, twentyone said:
Hi all, I've recently reached out to 6 clinics that I've read are reputable for a HT. However, some clinics are suggesting I do around 2400 grafts, while other clinics suggest as high as 3500 grafts. I'm not sure how to proceed given the vast difference in graft estimation, so wanted to get your thoughts on what would be best for me? All clinics have recommended a FUE/DHI over an FUT

Also, I've been reading about the potential of shock loss (especially for diffuse thinning which I have) and having my existing hairs dying from the HT operation and not growing back. Is this something I need to worry about or can even predict if I will or will not experience this? This is making me a bit hesitant to even get a HT, but not sure if this is a valid concern or not. 

For context, I started thinning 6 years ago, have been on minoxidil for 5 years and finasteride for 2.5 years. Even with these medications my hairline has been receding and has gotten a bit thinner, while I've made some small improvements in the crown area. 

Your donor seems to be good. I think you need around 3000 grafts. If i was you i would only do FUE method.

3 hours ago, twentyone said:

Yea, I have the same concern re: shockloss. 

I have a HT scheduled and am curious whether I should work around my thinning forelock, or just transplant over it.

I asked the question already in this forum.  Not sure if it's enough of a concern to NOT get a transplant though, as you would be replacing dying hairs with new ones from the donor...but still  curious what the opinions are of more experienced posters on here.

• Valued Contributor
16 hours ago, twentyone said:

From your pics it seems You got excellent donor...so you are a good candidate for ht...the number of grafts will depend on how low you take your hairline ...and it also depends on the thickness of the grafts which will be harvested and which are already there on the top of your head..and evn how much density you want to achieve ...so that all can be decided only whn u physically consult a doctor ...

Imo you should nt go on the quotation of grafts ...you just have to choose a doctor seeing his consistency in producing good results and his experience .....

Good that you are already on medication and always be on it if you don't face any side affects ....you should also consider prp therapy which will boost your existing grafts and make it fuller and thicker and thts how u will get better coverage ....this will give you good result in crown and mid scalp....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023