Buzz cuts after HT - longer term

Hi all, 

Question - do any people have a buzz cut after an FUE procedure longer term? 

I chose fue partly as I thought it would allow me to keep this as an option in the future, but I've heard some people say it doesn't look good. I wanted to get people's views on this if possible please? 

I didn't think it would look any worse than a shiny bald dome to have some stubble from where the grafts are on top. I understand it likely won't look as good as a natural full head of hair that has been buzzed, but hopefully it wouldn't look too bad? 

I'm thinking more the recipient area than the donor as I have seen plenty of shaved donors that look fine at a low grade 1, 2 or even 0.

@cheesy1986,

i’m going to tell you what I tell everybody else that asks the same question. If you plan on shaving your head long-term, do NOT to get a hair transplant.  Now that’s not to say that there will be any signs of scarring showing if you shave your head and sport a buzz cut.  But honestly, the point of undergoing a hair transplant procedure is to restore, grow and style your hair.  If you plan on shaving your head anyway, then why not just shave it and except your hair loss.

Now, all that to say, If your plan is to shave your head just short enough to make it look like you’re sporting a buzz cut with no signs of hairline recession, etc. you may want to consider scalp micropigmentation a.k.a. SMP.  This is a micro-tattooing procedure that uses a special kind of ink to create tiny dots in the balding areas to look like hair. Most SMP is temporary and lasts for a time and then has to be repeated.  There is also a permanent SMP procedure but there have been reports of discoloration over time as some of the ink begins to fade.

Now, you can always opt for surgical hair restoration anyway and then decide to shave your head as FUE certainly gives you the option to do that in the future since in the right surgical hands, you can crop your hair quite short without showing any signs of scarring.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@cheesy1986,

i’m going to tell you what I tell everybody else that asks the same question. If you plan on sporting a buzz cut long-term, do NOT to get a hair transplant.  Now that’s not to say that there will be any signs of scarring showing if you shave your head and sport a buzz cut.  But honestly, the point of undergoing a hair transplant procedure is to restore, grow and style your hair.  If the point is to shave your head, then why not just shave it and except your hair loss.

Now, all that to say, If your plan is to shave your head just short enough to make it look like you’re sporting a buzz cut with no signs of hairline recession, etc. you may want to consider scalp micro pigmentation a.k.a. SMP.  This is a micro-tattooing procedure that uses a special kind of inc. to create tiny dots in the balding areas to look like hair. Most SMP is temporary and lasts for a time and then has to be repeated.  There is also a permanent SMP procedure but there i’ve been reports of discoloration over time as some of the ink begins to fade.

Now, you can always opt for surgical hair restoration anyway and then decide to shave your head as FUE certainly gives you the option to do that in the future since in the right surgical hands, you can crop your hair quite short without showing any signs of scarring.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thank you for your helpful response. 

It is not my plan to do this, but it is more a safety net and back up option should the transplant not grow out as I'd hoped or I decide I want to buzz it for some reason in the future. 

I know it may not look perfect but no worse than a normal bald head I hope, as you see balding men with shaved heads who have all sorts of patterns of natural hair remaining.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@cheesy1986,

i’m going to tell you what I tell everybody else that asks the same question. If you plan on shaving your head long-term, do NOT to get a hair transplant.  Now that’s not to say that there will be any signs of scarring showing if you shave your head and sport a buzz cut.  But honestly, the point of undergoing a hair transplant procedure is to restore, grow and style your hair.  If you plan on shaving your head anyway, then why not just shave it and except your hair loss.

Now, all that to say, If your plan is to shave your head just short enough to make it look like you’re sporting a buzz cut with no signs of hairline recession, etc. you may want to consider scalp micropigmentation a.k.a. SMP.  This is a micro-tattooing procedure that uses a special kind of ink to create tiny dots in the balding areas to look like hair. Most SMP is temporary and lasts for a time and then has to be repeated.  There is also a permanent SMP procedure but there have been reports of discoloration over time as some of the ink begins to fade.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

i have to disagree a bit tbh

a buzzcut with a hairline looks very different compared to a buzzcut with a norwood 5

and a buzzcut with hair looks also very different to a pure smp

• Like 3

You’ll definitely still have the option in the recipient area. The donor you may wish to keep at least a few millimetres to hide scars.

Transplanted hairs are usually lower density than natives though and this can become apparent when the hair is very short. Illusion of density works better when the hair has some length.

But very short hair can still work. It won’t look freaky or horrible. Just not ideal. you’ll have the option 

• Like 1

A friend of mine who got a FUE hair transplant regularly cuts his hair very short, buzzing his sides and back of his head at a near-zero guard. 

I am legitimately surprised how short he can fade his sides and back of his head and not show any FUE scarring.

Everyone heals differently, and maybe my friend has Wolverine genes.  But this is the main reason why many have been opting for FUE over FUT.  

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

i have to disagree a bit tbh

a buzzcut with a hairline looks very different compared to a buzzcut with a norwood 5

and a buzzcut with hair looks also very different to a pure smp

+1

I've never been sold on a pure SMP scalp as I have seen many and every time it looks too shiny, too dense, and simply looks like a tattoo more than actual hair stubble.

However, I am intrigued by the COMBINATION of SMP with a HT, to give both the 3D effect of a HT and density of SMP.  I've never seen someone with this...but then again, maybe I have and it was so good I just didn't notice.  

I also agree with your buzzcut with hairline comment.  You can even see it here when someone who is NW6 or NW7 ends up getting a HT, and they look infinitely better sporting the hairline in their postop photos (despite still having overall low density across their scalp).  Simply eliminating the 'pattern' does so much for your look.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bucky O Hair said:

+1

I've never been sold on a pure SMP scalp as I have seen many and every time it looks too shiny, too dense, and simply looks like a tattoo more than actual hair stubble.

However, I am intrigued by the COMBINATION of SMP with a HT, to give both the 3D effect of a HT and density of SMP.  I've never seen someone with this...but then again, maybe I have and it was so good I just didn't notice.  

I also agree with your buzzcut with hairline comment.  You can even see it here when someone who is NW6 or NW7 ends up getting a HT, and they look infinitely better sporting the hairline in their postop photos (despite still having overall low density across their scalp).  Simply eliminating the 'pattern' does so much for your look.

here are a few example