What Damage do Sunburns Actually do Post-Hair Transplant?

I'm confused on the very specific damage a sunburn can do to the surgery in the 1-3 month post op period? I have read a variety of sources with quite different answers. Some say it can lead to permanent skin discoloration and permanent freckles, but won't affect graft growth or survival since those are 100% secure by Day 10. Other sources say the entire hair transplant can fail due to a sunburn, including the failing/killing of grafts. 

I want to get to the bottom of this and understand - once grafts are already secure by Day 10 - what specific damage/threat is there from getting a sunburn in the first few months?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've read that the newly transplanted tissue that is settling into another part of your scalp is "raw" and can take up to a year to heal. Exposing it to the sun at this "unhealed" state can cause permanent discoloration/redness. 

I haven't intentionally sunburned my head to see if this is true but the mainstream media does say you should always protect your scalp when it's sunny. So I guess wearing a hat is good for you. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella