Looking first first FUE - Diffuse thinning

Background: Noticed thinning at 35. Now 38. Tried oral Fin. Tried oral Dut. No minox at all. No derma/micro. No PRP. Father had full head of hair all life. Paternal grandfatehr had full head of hair all his life. Half brothers bald by their mid-20's. Maternal grandfather was bald in his early 20's.

After a few years of anxiety and self-diagnosed BDD, I'm taking the plunge for a FUE procedure. 

I tried Finasteride for 13 months, but it gave me some really bad sides, like physical pain - not nocebo effects. I switched to Dutasteride for 7 months, and while the sides went down, they didn't go away. I have concluded that I dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I stopped the pills in Nov 22 and am dreading the experience of my hair loss leveling out/catching up. 

I have spoken to a few US Doctors who would do FUE, but their quotes/prices are so high. I have read many great experiences on here and Reddit about HMR, TJ Hair Clinic, and Dr Nader - I have emails out to all; still waiting to head back from Dr Nader which I hear is common. The Mexico surgeons have far better pricing. While I dont want to go cheap on my hair, I also don't want to over pay, does that make sense?

With the few pictures provided, what are your thoughts? 

20220908_114804 (2).jpg

20230202_185727.jpg

20220908_114916 (2).jpg

my understanding is that if you dont plan to take medications for life, HT is waste of $ as you will continue to lose your current hair due to DHT. 

One of the reason i feel bummed about it as well as myself dont like to be on meds for ever.

IF you end up loosing all your hair on front and crown than i guess you dont need to be on meds as than all your hair will be transplanted hair.

Can someone confirm this?

Edited by max900

I don't think honestly that you should consider a surgery yet. Whenever you transplant grafts you risk shock loss and killing the healthy grafts. Plus it's barely visible that you're thinning, I would even say you're not thinning.

However, definitely reach out to a few surgeons and ask them.

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

22 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

I don't think honestly that you should consider a surgery yet. Whenever you transplant grafts you risk shock loss and killing the healthy grafts. Plus it's barely visible that you're thinning, I would even say you're not thinning.

However, definitely reach out to a few surgeons and ask them.

You used to not be able to see my scalp at all when cut this short. It would just be a big ol poof of hair. 

I've heard the shock loss mentioned before, but I thought it would shock loss, but still regrow. Shock loss could actually kill the healthy ones?

1 hour ago, max900 said:

my understanding is that if you dont plan to take medications for life, HT is waste of $ as you will continue to lose your current hair due to DHT. 

One of the reason i feel bummed about it as well as myself dont like to be on meds for ever.

IF you end up loosing all your hair on front and crown than i guess you dont need to be on meds as than all your hair will be transplanted hair.

Can someone confirm this?

That's what I've read about before as well. Granted I'm okay doing a follow-up. I just hate the unknown of how bald will my native hairs actually go. I wish balding wasn't so damn hard to diagnose person to person. 

• Valued Contributor
17 hours ago, RiffRaph said:

Background: Noticed thinning at 35. Now 38. Tried oral Fin. Tried oral Dut. No minox at all. No derma/micro. No PRP. Father had full head of hair all life. Paternal grandfatehr had full head of hair all his life. Half brothers bald by their mid-20's. Maternal grandfather was bald in his early 20's.

After a few years of anxiety and self-diagnosed BDD, I'm taking the plunge for a FUE procedure. 

I tried Finasteride for 13 months, but it gave me some really bad sides, like physical pain - not nocebo effects. I switched to Dutasteride for 7 months, and while the sides went down, they didn't go away. I have concluded that I dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I stopped the pills in Nov 22 and am dreading the experience of my hair loss leveling out/catching up. 

I have spoken to a few US Doctors who would do FUE, but their quotes/prices are so high. I have read many great experiences on here and Reddit about HMR, TJ Hair Clinic, and Dr Nader - I have emails out to all; still waiting to head back from Dr Nader which I hear is common. The Mexico surgeons have far better pricing. While I dont want to go cheap on my hair, I also don't want to over pay, does that make sense?

20220908_114804 (2).jpg

20230202_185727.jpg

20220908_114916 (2).jpg

For how long did u try oral minoxidil ? 

U can go for prp therapy to boost up ur grafts and thn along with it u cn take oral minoxidil and thts how u will get good coverage as ur grafts will get fuller and thicker ...i think if it goes well thn u will not need surgery...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:12 PM, RiffRaph said:

20220908_114804 (2).jpg

20230202_185727.jpg

20220908_114916 (2).jpg

Kinda in the same position. Tried fin but had sides so now looking at other options. I hair isn't super bad but I don't like the direction its going in and I've pretty much decided that I will have to get a hair transplant at some point. A bunch of people have said that a HT is pointless without fin but like, what do I do? Just let my hair get worse and deal with it? No way. 

• Valued Contributor

Please take this in the spirit that it is meant. If you are unable to take meds to stabilize your hair loss then a budget won't even be in the conversation. You will need future surgeries, planned over your life span, if you find a doctor who says yes to surgery. You really need to weigh this up and not only have the funds for this but also a realistic outlook on what can be achieved and what your goals in your mind are. Wishing you all the best.