WAW system

Dear members,

Does anyone know if it is true that all the good doctors use a WAW punch system? Also is manual punch always better? Sorry if I am mixing this up but was reading about the topic and it seems that the technical parts are not always as important as some people say. Also, it seems a lot of people on especially this forum know a lot about hair Transplants.

Thanks!

No they do not all use the WAW system. Some use the Harris Safe system, some use the Trivellini Mamba. Many other models exist. 

The WAW seems to be a good one, but there are others. Manual seems to be falling out of favour as it takes more time and can irritate the wrist. At the end of the day the tool is only as good as the hand that wields it. Manual is not necessarily always better.

We conducted a trial using the WAW, trivellini, and our own simple device. We found no significant difference in transection rate, healing, or scarring. Ultimately, it is more important for the surgeon to be comfortable with the device they are using. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

We conducted a trial using the WAW, trivellini, and our own simple device. We found no significant difference in transection rate, healing, or scarring. Ultimately, it is more important for the surgeon to be comfortable with the device they are using. 

Does it ultimately come down to punch size for scarring? Lower punches less scarring? But isn’t too low of punch size equal damaging of the grafts/tea section rate? Is there an ideal size mm wise?

8 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Does it ultimately come down to punch size for scarring? Lower punches less scarring? But isn’t too low of punch size equal damaging of the grafts/tea section rate? Is there an ideal size mm wise?

Size is one factor to consider, but in my opinion, depth is more crucial. If you maintain a size of 0.8 or lower, scarring is minimal. However, if you make the punchhole one millimeter deeper, the wound surface will significantly increase. The deeper the wound, the greater the likelihood of scarring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

Size is one factor to consider, but in my opinion, depth is more crucial. If you maintain a size of 0.8 or lower, scarring is minimal. However, if you make the punchhole one millimeter deeper, the wound surface will significantly increase. The deeper the wound, the greater the likelihood of scarring.

Very interesting. So depth is greater with smaller punch size but depth is less with a bigger punch? Or is there a sweet spot of maybe .8mm with less depth that is common practice at top clinics like your own?

20 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Very interesting. So depth is greater with smaller punch size but depth is less with a bigger punch? Or is there a sweet spot of maybe .8mm with less depth that is common practice at top clinics like your own?

You’ve misunderstood what i said i think. 

The depth is decided by the hand movement of the surgeon. If you use a 0.7 punch and go 4 mm deep, the wound is bigger then when using a 0.8 and you go 1.5 mm deep. Hope this clarifies more. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

The depth is decided by the hand movement of the surgeon. If you use a 0.7 punch and go 4 mm deep, the wound is bigger then when using a 0.8 and you go 1.5 mm deep. Hope this clarifies more. 

Sorry Doctor thanks for clarifying. Also I, including many on this site, have been very impressed with your work. You have put yourself into the list of the top surgeons in the world. Consistent homerun results after homerun!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Sorry Doctor thanks for clarifying. Also I, including many on this site, have been very impressed with your work. You have put yourself into the list of the top surgeons in the world. Consistent homerun results after homerun!

You’re welcome. Haha thanks. I’ve told melvin I won’t spam the forum anymore. I have to many to post, stay tuned. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
22 hours ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

Thnks for letting evryone know this...i guess very few people would be knowing this as generally we believe that only punch size(that is the punch circumference) only matters..you are providing really good knowledge to the community ..😊

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@SY7,

The two words “always“ and “never“ are words that are typically dangerous in just about all fields and walks of life. It is very rare that anything ever fits into the category of always or never. In this case, no, not all the best doctors use one particular punch or system to harvest follicular units.  Now some clever marketing schemes may have you believe that one particular system is the best in the world and that all individuals in that particular field must use it or utilize it in order to create the best of whatever.  It hair restoration surgery, I remember when the NeoGraft system first came out - they were touting themselves as an automated system that doesn’t require skill and experience to use and that even a neophyte doctor with inexperienced technicians could produce results on par with the best doctors and most skilled of technicians. This was all just marketing hocus-pocus and not true one bit.  I suspect that wherever you heard the above that it is just another attempt at bogus marketing propaganda.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:39 PM, JoDimaggio22 said:

I totally agree. Unfortunately he is a bit out of my budget. Some clients of him on the Dutch forum speak very good about him. I think he is one of the few that does the whole procedure himself and they say he speaks very passionate about his profesion. You definitely need that to get these kind of results.