Saw Palmetto advice needed

VeniVidiVici

I'm about to start with Saw Palmetto. I hope that it will block DHT just like Propecia. I also read that it's much more potent (no or minor sexual side effects compared with Propecia, except for bad breathe). Is someone using Saw Palmetto? Any advice, results, anything. Thanks in advance.

Current regimen

------------------------------

Minoxidil 5% - 2x per day

Ketoconazole 2% - 2x per week

Merz Vitamin pills - 1x per day

VeniVidiVici,

I've done a lot of research on Saw Palmetto and have found no viable clinical studies proving Saw Palmetto works to treat hair loss. Personally, I did use it as part of a treatment regime for about 6 months and didn't notice any positive effect. To be fair however, I could have given it a full year like Propecia.

Learn more about Saw Palmetto as a Hair Loss Treatment

All the Best,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

VeniVidiVici,

I've done a lot of research on Saw Palmetto and have found no viable clinical studies proving Saw Palmetto works to treat hair loss. Personally, I did use it as part of a treatment regime for about 6 months and didn't notice any positive effect. To be fair however, I could have given it a full year like Propecia.

Learn more about Saw Palmetto as a Hair Loss Treatment

All the Best,

Bill

Dear Respected Sir, thank you for your reply. I'm using a form of tea right now that contains Saw Palmetto. I'll wait and see if there are any results. Best wishes.

Current regimen

Hi VeniVidiVici,

I will try not to be to nerdy here icon_smile.gif I conducted a year 12 Biology thesis on Saw Palmetto for my final grade, everyone laughed of course being year 12's. As this is known mostly to aid with urinary issues and natural antisepctic I was hesitant to believe it would assist with Hair Loss. It turns out SP does inhibit DHT but not in the form that Propecia does, the catabolic breakdown is very slow, it can cause ulcers in the stomatch, liver issues etc, (over periods of time) and overall would be far far less effective to assist HL when compared to Fin (obviously), because no complete detailed studies with Bio breakdowns have been done on SP and of course being in yr 12 I had limited time to spend devoted to it I came to the conclusion that it would assist on a percentage scale of 5-15%. Of course I this was 9 years ago when percentages were all the rage. icon_smile.gif

Don't really know if this helps, but IMO SP is about as useful as a condom with air holes.

Also,

For the record I took SP for a Year maybe longer when I first noticed my hair thinning in my final school year (recommended by a "Health nut") which lead to this research project I did. When I began treatment at Advanced Hair (I use the term "treatment" lightly) they had SP in their hair loss package, so of course I threw the bottles out.

Hope I am not coming across as a know it all here, even though I am new to this forum I have been researching for years prior.

Cheers

MrMike

The other issue with saw palmetto is how much to take, what comes with it in the capsule (many are mixed with other herbs and minerals), and potential interactions with other medications.

In my opinion there is no reason to take saw palmetto, which is an unproven course of self-treatment with questionable positive effects and potentially unknown side-effects; when Fin is available on prescription (which is affordable as proscar). I find it moronic that people think saw palmetto is a 'natural' alternative which is safer, when in fact it has far greater potential risks attached.

Thanks for your replies. So, SP is not what is supposed to be? Damn, I will have to start with Propecia/Proscar as soon as posible. I pray that it will not cause some permanent side effects, cause I'm so young {22}.

Current regimen