What are your thoughts on Accutane?

Hi, everyone! I’m looking to get some insight from the community about going on accutane, and the risk of hairloss associated with the drug.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve built a relationship with two dermatologists. One last year in the US where I’m from, and another here in Guatemala where I spend most of my time recently.

Both doctors independently think I have acne-rosacea, and both put me on courses of anti-biotics (to help with the cystic acne), along with topicals and basic face care routines.

The anti-biotics work great! I mean, they don’t really help with the redness, or my EXTREME oily-ness (I cannot overstate how crazy my oily-ness is. Within a couple hours of washing my face, it’s like someone put olive oil all over it! So, so oily. Gross I know), but they keep the acne and cystic acne away mostly.

Both doctors, however, absolutely will not keep me on oral antibiotics more than a month or so here and there. And when I stop the antibiotics, the acne and cystic acne always comes back and, although I make some progress, I’m always eventually back closer to square one.

Both doctors want me to go on Accutane, and have said they think it could actually cure this acne and this oily-ness forever. However, I am really worried about the reported side-effects of hairloss with Accutane and hate to ruin this successful transplant! Although it’s a close one, my hair means more to me than fixing the skin issue, but if possible, I’d like to have both! :)

After my first dermatologist suggested accutane, I did ask my hair clinic HDC what they thought about the drug, and they thought it was ok for me to use. That the side-effects are rare and it should be fine. But, I’d love to get a wider range of opinions on this, and see if the community thinks the risks could outweigh the benefits!

If it matters, my hair gets very oily too. I have to wash it daily. So I’m pretty sure the Accutane will effect my scalp too, for better or for worse.

What do you guys think? Have any of you gone on Accutane? What was your experience?

I was on Accutane when I was 16, it really did permanently remove all my acne. I noticed zero effect on my hair. But 16 year olds are basically invincible to hairloss, so who knows maybe it could negatively effect the hair of an adult who is actively in the stages MPB. I have no clue. 

Do you have pictures of both your rosacea and your degree of baldness?

Having very bright, red rosy cheeks may arguably be a hell of a lot worse to live with than a minor degree of hair recession. You may need to prioritize. But....hopefully Accutance has zero effect on hairloss and this is a non-issue. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

36 minutes ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

It really worked and although it dried my skin it kept it very tight and made me look younger. You have to moisturize though even though that's counter intuitive

Oh right I forgot about this. It's been a hot minute since I was 16, but paradoxically I remember Accutane really made my skin wack. Like visibly wack to the point that classmates in high school knew something was up.

But it did ultimately get rid of all acne forever so whatever I guess. 

Also I believe Accutance is pretty hard on your liver. Not one of those dime a dozen side effects you can ignore. It truly puts your liver to work. Luckily at 16 I wasn't drinking so it wasn't an issue. But just fyi for anyone who regularly drinks, takes drugs, or has liver issues. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Do you have pictures of both your rosacea and your degree of baldness?

Having very bright, red rosy cheeks may arguably be a hell of a lot worse to live with than a minor degree of hair recession. You may need to prioritize. But....hopefully Accutance has zero effect on hairloss and this is a non-issue. 

I have a thread detailing my journey, which includes some photos of my face towards the end:

Without my hair transplants, my Norwood level would be a solid 5, with signs of a 6 somewhere in the future.

Overall, I have made some big improvements regarding my face over the last year, through medication, exercise and diet changes. My face is much less “bloated” now.

But I still deal with this cystic acne, and get these strange red bumps too, that never really fully form into whitehead acne, and are embedded what feels like deep beneath the surface.

Overall, my redness isn’t as bad as some people with rosacea. It varies depending on the day for me, but overall, you can see the red forehead, cheeks, nose (with spider-veins forming along the edge of my nose on my cheeks), and for some reason, some persistent redness at the very top of my chin. 

I realize Accutane won’t help with the rosacea or redness specifically, but cutting down on the acne and extreme oiliness would be a much welcome improvement. 

Edited by Parasol

• 2 weeks later...

Accutane is a highly efficient treatment for severe acne. However, hair loss is a possible side effect of the medication, but it is usually minor and reversible. You expressed worry about this possibility, despite having undergone a successful hair transplant.  Concerning the danger of hair loss, it is crucial to understand that not everyone who uses Accutane develops hair loss. It can, however, emerge and can be either transient or permanent. It's also worth noting that Accutane might have a negative effect on your scalp. Maintaining a healthy scalp and hair regimen can help support healthy hair growth in your case.

Ultimately, the choice to go on Accutane is a personal one that should be based on your individual needs and preferences. Good luck on your recovery!

• Thanks 1