I just had my hair transplant with Dr bisanga

Hah6788887

As I've said above, I'm going to be patient now.. I am not doubting the skill of Dr bisanga and how good the bhr team is. I spoke to Ian through email and after seeing his response, i think for me the best course of action is to wait. I will continue to communicate with bhr and hopefully the final result will be a good one. 

I just need some time to get through this initial phase and let everything calm down and I will update you all when I'm comfortable. I've just received my photos from bhr. I may share some of them in the future but for now I'm not comfortable with that. 

I did not say anything here that was not true on my end in terms of how I felt. I understand and appreciate the complexity of my case and by no means think its an easy one. I'm going to simply wait now and see the results and will document things as I go along. 

I do apologize that I'm not sharing images as I know that's very important but I'm not yet comfortable doing so.

Just now, Hah6788887 said:

As I've said above, I'm going to be patient now.. I am not doubting the skill of Dr bisanga and how good the bhr team is. I spoke to Ian through email and after seeing his response, i think for me the best course of action is to wait. I will continue to communicate with bhr and hopefully the final result will be a good one. 

I just need some time to get through this initial phase and let everything calm down and I will update you all when I'm comfortable. I've just received my photos from bhr. I may share some of them in the future but for now I'm not comfortable with that. 

I did not say anything here that was not true on my end in terms of how I felt. I understand and appreciate the complexity of my case and by no means think its an easy one. I'm going to simply wait now and see the results and will document things as I go along. 

I do apologize that I'm not sharing images as I know that's very important but I'm not yet comfortable doing so. I still do feel the way I did but Ian offered me an explanation and for now, I just want to recover from the initial phase and will revisit this at a later date hopefully.

4 hours ago, Curious25 said:

It’s actually the complete opposite, temple recession is usually always asymmetrical, with the right hand side more commonly found to recess at a quicker rate. 

OP - pre op and post op pics are required for anyone to really understand what’s going on here. 

But what can be said, is that communication and mutual understanding between surgeon and patient are fundamental - if your wants weren’t feasible or appropriate for whatever reason, this should have been clearly communicated to you as to why, and then back to the drawing board together to come up with a plan B compromise that suits both.

Bedside manner is a bit more of a tricky area to address, however if I felt a surgeon wasn’t as focused or attentive as I would expect, I think we can all agree it would be an underwhelming feeling. Hard to address though, because perception is subjective. 

At the end of the day goal of surgery is to achieve good growth within a natural design. I would rather achieve that with the rudest surgeon on the planet, than walk away after having the friendliest experience ever, only to look in the mirror 12 months later with zero hairs on my head.

I’m not suggesting he was rude, I’m just trying to cast things into perspective. Cosmetic surgery patients can often times be a hard calibre of patient for Dr’s to work with, and I don’t doubt for one minute there are quite a few erratic HT patients out there in the world that would quite literally want the Dr to hold their hand the whole way through surgery, so I can sit on the fence and empathise with both parties in this sense. 

It sounds as though the main gripe you have is that you feel you weren’t heard or listened to - so in this case hopefully you can reach out and request feedback from the clinic as to why what happened, happened - and then perhaps they can also take on this feedback to make sure communication between patient and surgeon is fully established moving forward. 

Wishing you a great result ! 

Interesting, I did not know that. 

14 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Interesting, I did not know that. 

This is a very balanced answer. I'm just going to wait and communicate what I'm supposed to and re evaluate with time. What's done is done for now. There are a few things that stuck out to me but no need to further address it now. I will just be patient. I have some gripes for sure but I will try to see how I feel in a few months when the growth starts and stuff. I will take photos and everything and maybe post a full on review than

On 1/16/2023 at 11:23 AM, Raphael84 said:

Congratulations for completing your surgery @Hah6788887

I know that any two days of surgery can be tiring and take a lot and I know that there was anxiety coming into the surgery which is common, especially with patients who present a repair status and have had negative experiences previously.

We encourage all patients to share their cases and experience and this is the very value of the community and this presents a platform to then be able to discuss and allow users to educate and understand the challenges and realities that various case types may present.

As has been requested throughout the thread, to present any real context to your case and some of your concerns, I feel that photos really would be a valuable addition whilst explaining some further background in terms of limitations and challenges that were in place as your surgery was not a typical or straightforward repair surgery as such based on specific objectives, donor limitations and donor sources.

The great thing with the HTN community is that it is active and you will no doubt receive the support that was the motivation for your post, but to allow more specific and honest support, then I believe that your photos will answer many of the above questions and present some clarity and context.

I will avoid sharing any specifics because naturally that is between yourself and the clinic, but would encourage you to share as much as possible and the clinic can then add comment that can help to potentially better understand some concerns or further detail.

As detailed in my correspondence to you -

As we have discussed, a surgery of such complexity isnt as straight forward as one may imagine, and as specific graft numbers were not known at the time of pre operative consultation as the doctor was not aware of the integrity or quality of grafts from other requested sources, then as there was a flexibility with graft numbers, that then extends into surgical approach as different options and understanding of graft and hair numbers become known as surgery proceeds.

Day 2 presented a review and further discussion prior to surgery between yourself and the doctor as was requested to better understand the days approach.

In terms of temple placing, I was personally hesitant regarding this as you will recall and explained that oftentimes it isnt as simple as stating that you would only like to place 50 grafts into the temple. Graft requirements are often higher and when miniaturisation is present, then to reinforce further behind is often necessary to avoid native hair becoming disconnected from transplanted hair with progressive loss, especially considering your pattern of loss and undoubted progressive loss.

I recall our conversations explaining that I would not recommend touching your temples with the extent of your loss and graft demands throughout the scalp.

One very significant point that I believe is being overlooked is that as was discussed and as you explained, your intentions in the future as loss evolved is to shave down and that one objective of many was that shaving down would present a natural head of hair, albeit with thinning. 

Considering this key element and the likelihood that it will at some point become reality, to not allow the doctor to restore into areas (such as deeper into the temple and some parts of the crown), that you do not consider priority at current, but would clearly become problematic in the future as loss progresses if these areas are not reinforced. This is a matter of ethics and can not be overlooked by preferred styling options today.

As we discussed, if there are areas that become disconnected (the temple is a perfect example), this will not appear natural and so this must be taken into account and explains why the doctor felt the need to reinforce some areas more than you may have prioritised based on your current status and therefore why some flexibility once surgery began was needed and that trust in the doctor in utilising his experience to make such decisions based on the patients best interests is paramount in any surgery and the responsibility of the doctor.

It is very early days post surgery and at this stage, your head and scalp is swollen and will have some scabbing and presents quite a different reality to that of pre surgery.

Hopefully this presents some of the challenges and initial explanations without going into real specifics or personal details.

It is unfortunate that you have these concerns and of course as a clinic it is our intention for all patients to leave the clinic feeling completely satisfied, but such cases are rarely straightforward and there are many emotions during surgery dates, and it would be encouraged to discuss such details with the clinic for better clarity and understanding and to receive some reasoning to avoid any confusion.

As said within our communication, you have the full support of the clinic, it is just a few days post surgery and you have much to be positive about over the next 12+ months.

I look forward to following up with you.

This all makes perfect sense tbh. I've no doubt his best long term interests were the Dr's priority and there was solid reasoning behind the graft placement. Even if he is unhappy now he will thank Dr Bisanga when his hairline doesn't look ridiculous after further balding.