how many grafts would be required to fill up your crown?

Before proceeding with the crown, you need to ensure that the front grows in. Assuming it grows, with a good doctor, I'd say 2,000 - 3,000 for a worthwhile change. I'm trying to cover a similar area with my next surgery btw.

Imo, you may need two more surgeries. The first is the 2 - 3k to focus on the crown. A second smaller surgery to shore up any weaker points or dips. You may be able to get it all done at once if you wait for the first transplant to grow in.

Edited by Z--

4 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Before proceeding with the crown, you need to ensure that the front grows in. Assuming it grows, with a good doctor, I'd say 2,000 - 3,000 for a worthwhile change. I'm trying to cover a similar area with my next surgery btw.

Imo, you may need two more surgeries. The first is the 2 - 3k to focus on the crown. A second smaller surgery to shore up any weaker points or dips. You may be able to get it all done at once if you wait for the first transplant to grow in.

yup, thats what im planning on doing.. but with how high eugenix jacks up their prices, i gotta throw that deposit asap so they dont price me out.

would prefer going to them even if its just the 120 right now with dr somesh.

im also preparing myself mentally for a touch up after crown because of my delay onto fin..it is what it is. wife wants that baby.

Edited by BaldingEagle1

Follow my Hair Transplant experience with Eugenix!

Nov 16, 2022

4 hours ago, MAIZE1694 said:

For good density on that bare patch of skin i'd say 2.5k grafts minimum. Your donor doesn't have that much, looks depleted. Using beard?

I can use beard but it only looks depleted cos i trimmed it down to 1.5 and only been 45 days from my first HT

Edited by BaldingEagle1

Nov 16, 2022

Well I got my answer from eugenix. 

they said 2k for crown which makes me happy. They said to wait for 3 months to determine where the hair will come from sicne it’s only been 50 days since my first HT

Nov 16, 2022

@BaldingEagle1,

The answer to your question really depends on what you mean by “fill up“. If you are simply trying to create a “dusting“ or covering so that you no longer have a bald spot but just the appearance of thinning hair, you might only need about 2000 to 2500 grafts based on the photos you presented.

That said, the crown is a unique part of the head and the angulation and placement of hair is very different than the rest of the scalp. For example, hair seems to follow a natural swirl or whirl pattern in the crown making it more difficult to re-create the appearance of density.  That said, if you go back to the figures I’ve shared  previously in multiple posts which in essence shows that the top of the human head contains approximately 50,000 hairs or 22,000 follicular units - more than half of which is the entire crown region.  Looking right at the numbers, you would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 to 14,000 grafts to re-create “true density” in the entire crown region.

Since we determined that approximately 2500 units would provide a moderate dusting or covering of the crown eliminating the baldness but still showing significantly thinning hair especially under harsh lighting, It would probably take in the neighborhood of 5000 to 6000 grafts minimum to re-create real solid density  in the crown although it still may look a little thin under harsh lighting.

Now don’t be discouraged. It takes significantly fewer grafts to create a dense and natural looking hairline and frontal region which is what most people see when they look at you. Moreover, people typically can get away with restoring a thin looking crown because it eliminates the baldness and most people aren’t real keen at evaluating how much hair is there - they only observe the fact that it’s not bald.

At the end of the day, most individuals are satisfied with fewer follicular units placed in the crown as long as the front looks youthful, natural and dense.

I know this is a bit of a roundabout way of answering your question but these variables and facts need to be looked at and weighed in on when evaluating how much hair should be set aside for a bald or balding crown.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

15 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@BaldingEagle1,

The answer to your question really depends on what you mean by “fill up“. If you are simply trying to create a “dusting“ or covering so that you no longer have a bald spot but just the appearance of thinning hair, you might only need about 2000 to 2500 grafts based on the photos you presented.

That said, the crown is a unique part of the head and the angulation and placement of hair is very different than the rest of the scalp. For example, hair seems to follow a natural swirl or whirl pattern in the crown making it more difficult to re-create the appearance of density.  That said, if you go back to the figures I’ve shared  previously in multiple posts which in essence shows that the top of the human head contains approximately 50,000 hairs or 22,000 follicular units - more than half of which is the entire crown region.  Looking right at the numbers, you would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 to 14,000 grafts to re-create “true density” in the entire crown region.

Since we determined that approximately 2500 units would provide a moderate dusting or covering of the crown eliminating the baldness but still showing significantly thinning hair especially under harsh lighting, It would probably take in the neighborhood of 5000 to 6000 grafts minimum to re-create real solid density  in the crown although it still may look a little thin under harsh lighting.

Now don’t be discouraged. It takes significantly fewer grafts to create a dense and natural looking hairline and frontal region which is what most people see when they look at you. Moreover, people typically can get away with restoring a thin looking crown because it eliminates the baldness and most people aren’t real keen at evaluating how much hair is there - they only observe the fact that it’s not bald.

At the end of the day, most individuals are satisfied with fewer follicular units placed in the crown as long as the front looks youthful, natural and dense.

I know this is a bit of a roundabout way of answering your question but these variables and facts need to be looked at and weighed in on when evaluating how much hair should be set aside for a bald or balding crown.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks Dr Rahal!

Nov 16, 2022