SULT1A1 Enzyme Booster

V2.Schneider

I did a search on this term but could not locate any threads on these forums? Sorry if it's been covered.

Has anyone had experience with a US company called Daniel Alain who claim to have a minoxidil response test (MRT) which determines whether or not you will respond to oral/topical minoxidil? This is the first I heard of anything like it.

The test is done on a hair sample to determine if the enzyme sulfotransferase (SULT1A1) is present in your hair. The theory is that minoxidil doesn't cause hair growth itself but only once it's converted to minoxidil sulfate by the enzyme sulfotransferase. Some people have low SULT1A1 enzyme activity and theoretically would be non-responders to minoxidil.

The company claims to have a topical SULT1A1 booster product if your test comes back as a non-responder, but you have to buy their expensive formulated minoxidil product. They say it's only available in America so i'm not sure how i'd get hold of it in Australia.

It's all snazzy and clearly they've paid a lot for packaging and marketing - but is it legit ?

• Like 1

The only study is made by theirselves, but it has good practices and study setup so in theory its legit.

Nonetheless, the only way to know if it would work in your case is to test it out. And of course, this is only useful if you had low SULT1A enzymes in your scalp. The most common way to "fix" low SULT1A is to just take Oral Minoxidil, because everyone's liver has enough of those enzymes and thats why everyone responds to oral and only 40% to topical.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:50 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

thats why everyone responds to oral and only 40% to topical.

Ohh I wish that was true for me. Five years on oral minoxidil of varying doses, five years on finasteride and/or dutasteride. I'm a non responder to everything I try :D.

Hopefully the transplant will come good eventually.

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 12:56 AM, V2.Schneider said:

Ohh I wish that was true for me. Five years on oral minoxidil of varying doses, five years on finasteride and/or dutasteride. I'm a non responder to everything I try :D.

Hopefully the transplant will come good eventually.

I feel I'm in the same boat.  I've been on 5mg of oral Minoxidil and .5mg of oral Dutasteride for a year and still losing ground.  I feel I'm a non-responder to everything also.  Have you tried anything else such as a topical antiandrogen or something similar?