people that dermaroll - how is it?

i did micro needling using a dermapen #8  prior to my ht  for about 7 months. i used 1.5 mm depth at  first which was quite painful especially in the frontal are where the skin layer is thinner. eventually i went down to 1 mm which was more tolerable. i also used 5% minoxidil  in conjunction with microneedling the same day. suggested use is 24 hours afterwards to prevent skin irritation. i can definately say that my hair felt thicker after a few months and less shedding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bear56 said:

i did micro needling using a dermapen #8  prior to my ht  for about 7 months. i used 1.5 mm depth at  first which was quite painful especially in the frontal are where the skin layer is thinner. eventually i went down to 1 mm which was more tolerable. i also used 5% minoxidil  in conjunction with microneedling the same day. suggested use is 24 hours afterwards to prevent skin irritation. i can definately say that my hair felt thicker after a few months and less shedding.

did you use the dermapen over your entire scalp and how long after did you apply minoxidil? thanks for sharing btw

i did the entire top. sometimes the sides but you need to go to .5 mm for the sides. i did minoxidil right after. it all depends how you can tolerate it . you must monitor the scalp to make sure it does not get irritated. make sure you clean your scalp before you micro needle  and always use a sterile cartridge. if you  must reuse an old one you have to soak it in alcohol. i always used a new one.  using microneedling plus minoxidil makes it 4-5x more potent. there is plenty of literature out there. i had to cut my hair every month and it got noticable thicker. i had fine  hair grow that i had never seen before. you will start to see noticable results after 3-4 months. good luck!

• Like 1

i wanted to do micro needling post op ht  to the recipient area but since i did not get any response from people here on this forum with first hand experience, i opted not to do it to the freshly implanted hair.

Zenmu,

in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with trying just about anything as long as it’s safe however, in my opinion, don’t expect spectacular results. Just about any non-surgical treatment whether there is any proven degree of efficacy or not at best may slow down, stop or slightly reverse the effects of male pattern baldness. None of them are proven to grow hair and completely bald areas. Only hair transplant surgery is proven to do that. 

in my opinion, unless there is a reason why you don’t want to try it such as potential side effects, finasteride is your best bet and best non-surgical weapon against male pattern moldings followed by minoxidil and possibly a ketoconozole based shampoo such as nRevita. Keep in mind however that Nazarov can be a bit harsh especially the 2% solution and she going to use a couple times a week.

I hope this helps and best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

12 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Zenmu,

in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with trying just about anything as long as it’s safe however, in my opinion, don’t expect spectacular results. Just about any non-surgical treatment whether there is any proven degree of efficacy or not at best may slow down, stop or slightly reverse the effects of male pattern baldness. None of them are proven to grow hair and completely bald areas. Only hair transplant surgery is proven to do that. 

in my opinion, unless there is a reason why you don’t want to try it such as potential side effects, finasteride is your best bet and best non-surgical weapon against male pattern moldings followed by minoxidil and possibly a ketoconozole based shampoo such as nRevita. Keep in mind however that Nazarov can be a bit harsh especially the 2% solution and she going to use a couple times a week.

I hope this helps and best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

i see what you’re saying and i partially agree with it. i do however believe that some people experience amazing results with dermarolling and minoxidil but it may be more how they respond to minoxidil than the dermarolling. i think i’ll likely continue my routine and if i feel desperate while im waiting for a transplant i’ll include dermarolling just to keep in good spirit. i appreciate the response

12 hours ago, bear56 said:

i wanted to do micro needling post op ht  to the recipient area but since i did not get any response from people here on this forum with first hand experience, i opted not to do it to the freshly implanted hair.

that’s likely a good idea. you wouldn’t want to risk damaging the newly implanted hair

in my opinion, it is always best to start with the least harmful substance which i believe is minoxidil. if it does not work then move to the next product like finasteride which shows positive outcome for a lot of users but with the possibility of side effects. i believe that some users get poor results because of several factors: overall health, impatience ( not giving enough time for it to work), inconsistency ( skipping the dosage), incorrect application ( not clean the scalp properly, so that the solution can penetrate properly). but here is what i believe is what makes the difference. you need a stimulus if you want good results. for example take a bodybuilder if he would take a protein powder alone without working out, he would not stimulate the muscle to grow. maybe not the best comparison but you get my point. the stimulus for hair would be massage and or microneedling. it will not bring hair back that is gone long time ago but it can  stimulate dormant hair to regrow and keep miniaturized hair alive and improve your overall hair structure. keep what you have regardless if you get a hair transplant or not. a hair transplant does not prevent your other hair form falling out. it only relocates your hair form the donor to the recipient site. so you can opt to take meds to keep it or follow the minoxidil/ microneedling and/or massage if it works for you.