Redness pitting cobblestone after 3 transplants

I think it may be a technical error. from some reason, the real top doctors don't have these problems. the FUE graft has a larger disc of skin on top. correctly placed graft protrudes about 1mm above and after 10 days the skin disc falls off together with the scab. If a doctor or technician pushes this larger disc of skin into a small hole, cobblestoning is guaranteed.

Thanks for all the replys! 

Here is the update. I visited mwamba last week and we discussed my problems. He said that my scalp is pretty dry and maybe that could contribute to the redness so he recommended to try to fix that before we make any futher actions. Im currently using some "better" shampoos and also keto curtizone shampoo so I can fix the flakes. I asked him about the density and hair placement aswell because it is some double grafts in the front and a bit patchy in some places. He said that the growth hasnt been very good but when he looked a little closer he could still see some hairs coming so he thought maybe I was a slow grower. 

We also talked about the cooblestoning/pitting but he didnt really adress that so much. He said that I should use the "strataderm" cream. I've used that before but I havent really seen any imporvments but I'll give it one more try.
I will do this for 3 months (fix dry scalp and apply strataderm) and then I'll get back to mwamba. 

I'm thinking about trying microneedling to smooth things out. I guess it should not be a problem 9 months post op. 

What do u guys think? Is it wise to wait 3 months and then see how it looks and take it from there? As I feel right now I think I need another transplant (which sucks) but I'm not sure that I will do that with mwamba. Nothing against him, he is a great person but I dont really think the "result" was so good in my case YET. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:09 AM, UnbaldEagle said:

Hey @Redhead. It's been a while since I posted here. I just read your post and felt like I'd share my own experience with these issues. Know that there's hope and treatment options, but those are not called Aloe Vera, topical steroids or pretty much any ointment that your dermatologist might prescribe. Dermatologists who do not operate lasers can offer little help apart from telling you what's typically advised here: just wait a little bit more, it will fade. Even though from what I understood, it's been years in your case. The problem is, especially considering scar redness is that if it didn't fade in 7 months, it is pretty much a permanent condition. In some rare cases it would fade until 1 year, but it just stops improving after that. First of all, it is not your skin that is red per se, nor is it postoperative redness (i.e. erythema) as it was offered by someone above. That's a normal stage of wound healing, whilst having this amount of redness 9 months post op is simply not. As I said, when it comes to redness it's not really your skin that needs to be healed, but rather the capillaries which were ruptured by the thousands of incisions. So it's the broken capillaries that are causing the redness (they are not actually broken, but remain more dilated than before), hence it's a 3D problem rather than 2D. 

As far as treatment options are concerned, yes, dermatologists would sometimes prescribe a topical steroid, as they are anti-inflammatory, and some of the stronger ones, such as clobetasol propionate, are vasoconstrictive, so in theory they would constrict these dilated capillaries which are causing your redness. However the blood is still pulsing under pressure from the heart, so it would require long term use to see a noticeable reduction in redness, which is a problem because steroids would thin the skin, potentially leading to skin atrophy, which is irreversible and would make t
elangiectasia even more visible. So it's best to avoid topical steroids, or use them sparingly. I've tried a few myself and haven't seen any improvement. If you really want to try out any topical, there's tacrolimus which acts just like a steroid, but without causing any thin skinning, or silicone sheets, for which there are some studies showing they could reduce the appearance of hypertrophic scars, including redness and cobblestoning. The only problem is it's difficult to apply them on a hairy area. But of course do consult with a dermatologist, maybe they will tell you something new.

The gold standard for treating redness are lasers, which would also cause permanent hair loss, apart from one pulse dye laser called Vbeam. It is generally used to treat rosacea, but they're equally effective with other vascular issues. Vbeam targets dilated surface capillaries, causing them to shrink, or with purpuric settings (more Joules and different spotsize), causing them to effectively burst and disappear. The blood vessels feeding your follicles are much deeper and at a wave length of only 595 nm, Vbeam wouldn't reach them (the other pulse dye laser, 
Nd:YAG most likely would). I've had a total of 4 Vbeam treatments thus far and the redness is much better these days. I would say mine was comparable to yours at around the year mark. I didn't shave my hair for the first 3 treatments so it's possible that my hair has absorbed the energy from the laser and that's why my forth treatment, for which I shaved my hair, appeared to be more effective. I'm planning to do 2 more treatments and then hopefully move on with my life and try to forget I ever had this dreadful HT

Lastly, for the cobblestone appearance of your skin, there's microneedling, but again, that would require a few sessions. I would recommend going to a professional rather than buy the dermaroller or dermastamp and DIY. A forum member here, @harryforrealhad some great success in treating his own plucked chicken skin.

All the best and I hope you find a way. If it's any consolation, I think your hair looks great otherwise.

Thanks for the reply! 

So u mean that the Vbeam does not effect the hairgrowth? If that is the case maybe thats a good option.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,
New member here. I am finding this thread very helpful as well, as I am suffering from extreme persistent redness (4 months in and no improvement since about week 3). Thanks for all the posts.

I was wondering if anybody else had success with the V Beam or any other words of wisdom. Unbald Eagle, if you ever read this, I would really appreciate talking to you. I am in the UK as well (London area) - I had my FUE here and, let's say, disappointing so far, both from a results and aftercare perspective.

PS - If an admin could enable me for private messages, that would be great too. Thanks all

Edited by Redmann

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might have been the first person to post about my success with V-Beam and Micro-needling - and now Genius RF. 

For redness the V-beam was a life saver after only 2 treatments - note that I shaved my head prior to each treatment per the instructions of the dermatologist.  V-Beam is relatively cheap, quick, and a simple outpatient procedure.  1) Shave your head; 2) the doc/nurse will "Zap" your head for 20 - 30 minutes with V-Beam; 3) Drive yourself home. It's THAT SIMPLE! (ok, you will probably wear a hat for 1 - 2 weeks to hide the "purplish bruising", but it fades relatively quickly).

After 2 V-Beam procedures my redness was effectively gone.  Made the biggest difference in my life following almost 4 YEARS of MISERY because of Hair Transplant Redness.

HONEST TO GOD I can't believe 5 years after I posted my original pics showing the success of the V-Beam laser that it isn't more widely known or acknowledged by the "Hair Transplant Medical Professionals" - and I put that last part in quotes to emphasize sarcasm.   UnbaldEagle did a nice job summarizing above how the V-Beam works, so I'll not spend time writing more about it. But do yourself a favor and JUST DO THE V-BEAM for redness.  Check out my posts also to see my before and after V-Beam pics.

As for the micro needling I saw immediate improvement of the bumpy texture after the very first micro-needling procedure.  DO THE MICRO NEEDLING IF YOU HAVE A BUMPY TEXTURE - also relatively cheap.  Micro needling is really for the face; however, I purchased it with the understanding that the hairline would be included with the face treatment.  I did a couple micro-needling treatments and each time I saw continued improvement in skin texture.

As I approached 51, I started to develop a slight "turkey neck" (loose hanging skin under my neck), and the same nurse who did my micro needling advised stepping up to the stronger Genius Radio Frequency (3 sessions spread over 2 months), which I agreed to again with the understanding that we would continue to include the hairline.  After the first GENIUS RF treatment the turkey neck was completely gone, and the bumpy texture from the Hair Transplant was significantly reduced to almost not being noticeable.  

I am now approaching 53 and just completed another 3 sessions of Genius RF.  I cannot really see any bumpy texture any more.  AND my skin and face look like I'm in my 30's (at least in my opinion).  

Genius RF is not pleasant - it's a bit painful, but recovery time is relatively quick (back at work the next day with what looks like a bit of a temporary sunburn).  But the results are so good I definitely see myself continuing to do 3 sessions of Genius RF ever year or ever other year to help keep my face taught.  

As for the hair transplant itself?  Ehhh.....I manage to make it look "natural" for a 53 year old man with some "thinning" hair with coarse, wiry gray hairs (the transplanted hairs).  But at least there isn't the redness or bumpy texture to draw attention to the fact that I had a hair transplant.   

Seriously, medical hair transplant professionals, do yourself a favor - investigate how these treatment options (V-Beam, Micro needling, Genius RF) could TRANSFORM your hair transplant practice.  I swear if I were to walk into your practice today you would be SHOCKED at how smooth and natural my skin looks for someone who has had 2 hair transplant surgeries.  You're totally missing out on an opportunity to offer the most refined after hair transplant result possible.  

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 5:51 AM, Redhead said:

Thanks for the reply! 

So u mean that the Vbeam does not effect the hairgrowth? If that is the case maybe thats a good option.

No, Redhead, it does not affect the hair growth.  None of my transplanted hairs have been affected by V-Beam, Micro Needling, or Genius RF.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, harryforreal said:

I think I might have been the first person to post about my success with V-Beam and Micro-needling - and now Genius RF. 

For redness the V-beam was a life saver after only 2 treatments - note that I shaved my head prior to each treatment per the instructions of the dermatologist.  V-Beam is relatively cheap, quick, and a simple outpatient procedure.  1) Shave your head; 2) the doc/nurse will "Zap" your head for 20 - 30 minutes with V-Beam; 3) Drive yourself home. It's THAT SIMPLE! (ok, you will probably wear a hat for 1 - 2 weeks to hide the "purplish bruising", but it fades relatively quickly).

After 2 V-Beam procedures my redness was effectively gone.  Made the biggest difference in my life following almost 4 YEARS of MISERY because of Hair Transplant Redness.

HONEST TO GOD I can't believe 5 years after I posted my original pics showing the success of the V-Beam laser that it isn't more widely known or acknowledged by the "Hair Transplant Medical Professionals" - and I put that last part in quotes to emphasize sarcasm.   UnbaldEagle did a nice job summarizing above how the V-Beam works, so I'll not spend time writing more about it. But do yourself a favor and JUST DO THE V-BEAM for redness.  Check out my posts also to see my before and after V-Beam pics.

As for the micro needling I saw immediate improvement of the bumpy texture after the very first micro-needling procedure.  DO THE MICRO NEEDLING IF YOU HAVE A BUMPY TEXTURE - also relatively cheap.  Micro needling is really for the face; however, I purchased it with the understanding that the hairline would be included with the face treatment.  I did a couple micro-needling treatments and each time I saw continued improvement in skin texture.

As I approached 51, I started to develop a slight "turkey neck" (loose hanging skin under my neck), and the same nurse who did my micro needling advised stepping up to the stronger Genius Radio Frequency (3 sessions spread over 2 months), which I agreed to again with the understanding that we would continue to include the hairline.  After the first GENIUS RF treatment the turkey neck was completely gone, and the bumpy texture from the Hair Transplant was significantly reduced to almost not being noticeable.  

I am now approaching 53 and just completed another 3 sessions of Genius RF.  I cannot really see any bumpy texture any more.  AND my skin and face look like I'm in my 30's (at least in my opinion).  

Genius RF is not pleasant - it's a bit painful, but recovery time is relatively quick (back at work the next day with what looks like a bit of a temporary sunburn).  But the results are so good I definitely see myself continuing to do 3 sessions of Genius RF ever year or ever other year to help keep my face taught.  

As for the hair transplant itself?  Ehhh.....I manage to make it look "natural" for a 53 year old man with some "thinning" hair with coarse, wiry gray hairs (the transplanted hairs).  But at least there isn't the redness or bumpy texture to draw attention to the fact that I had a hair transplant.   

Seriously, medical hair transplant professionals, do yourself a favor - investigate how these treatment options (V-Beam, Micro needling, Genius RF) could TRANSFORM your hair transplant practice.  I swear if I were to walk into your practice today you would be SHOCKED at how smooth and natural my skin looks for someone who has had 2 hair transplant surgeries.  You're totally missing out on an opportunity to offer the most refined after hair transplant result possible.  

Thanks for all the great information, I hope Redmann also read this. So did u also do the Genius RF on the scalp or just your neck? 
I've started to do some micro needling at home (one session). I will try to do like one or two sessions a month and see if it help. If it dont help I'll speak to a clinic so they can do the micro needling.

Yes, thanks a million Harry! This is great info and should be much more widely available. One common thread that seems to run through all the perma-redness sufferers people here is the indifference or just outright dismissiveness of HT practicioners. This might be a minority issue (though probably not as infrequent as they would like to believe), but the response invariably seems to be - This is normal, just give it time, or even worse, "There is no redness".

• Like 1

Redman, I just wanted to say that I pretty much had the same consultation with mwamba, almost word for word!, following my repair review at 9 months. I also have sparse areas, doubles in the hairline and cobblestoning 

I'm a little worried this might be a recurring theme as I've seen a few cases on HRN now where this has happened.

after my 1st transplant I got same problem of small lined bumps and ridging in some places (the hairs were transplanted in lines to :( ) not sure  if its cobblestoning,

during my repair transplant hairline was lowered with soft single hairs on front waiting for the final result now due in 8-9 months from now , i will also explore micro-needling if it reduces the bumps lets see

Edited by WoundedWolf

• 4 weeks later...

12 months mark. Still a bit red. I think it's better now then before. 

I've tried micro needling like 3-4 times and it has help with the bumpy texture and also (I think) the redness. I will keep micro needling a few more times and hopefully get rid of the cobblestone. 

I'm on the hunt for a new surgeon that can smooth out my transplant a bit. I need more single hair grafts thats not so "strong" because now it's a bit obvious that I've had a transplant. 

Do u guys think Fuegenix (Dr. Munib Ahmad) would be a good choice? I've seen some great results posted here by Dr. Munib.

Let me know what u guys think.

8C3A4983.jpg

8C3A4967.jpg

8C3A4952.jpg

On 2/2/2023 at 2:09 AM, UnbaldEagle said:

Hey @Redhead. It's been a while since I posted here. I just read your post and felt like I'd share my own experience with these issues. Know that there's hope and treatment options, but those are not called Aloe Vera, topical steroids or pretty much any ointment that your dermatologist might prescribe. Dermatologists who do not operate lasers can offer little help apart from telling you what's typically advised here: just wait a little bit more, it will fade. Even though from what I understood, it's been years in your case. The problem is, especially considering scar redness is that if it didn't fade in 7 months, it is pretty much a permanent condition. In some rare cases it would fade until 1 year, but it just stops improving after that. First of all, it is not your skin that is red per se, nor is it postoperative redness (i.e. erythema) as it was offered by someone above. That's a normal stage of wound healing, whilst having this amount of redness 9 months post op is simply not. As I said, when it comes to redness it's not really your skin that needs to be healed, but rather the capillaries which were ruptured by the thousands of incisions. So it's the broken capillaries that are causing the redness (they are not actually broken, but remain more dilated than before), hence it's a 3D problem rather than 2D. 

As far as treatment options are concerned, yes, dermatologists would sometimes prescribe a topical steroid, as they are anti-inflammatory, and some of the stronger ones, such as clobetasol propionate, are vasoconstrictive, so in theory they would constrict these dilated capillaries which are causing your redness. However the blood is still pulsing under pressure from the heart, so it would require long term use to see a noticeable reduction in redness, which is a problem because steroids would thin the skin, potentially leading to skin atrophy, which is irreversible and would make t
elangiectasia even more visible. So it's best to avoid topical steroids, or use them sparingly. I've tried a few myself and haven't seen any improvement. If you really want to try out any topical, there's tacrolimus which acts just like a steroid, but without causing any thin skinning, or silicone sheets, for which there are some studies showing they could reduce the appearance of hypertrophic scars, including redness and cobblestoning. The only problem is it's difficult to apply them on a hairy area. But of course do consult with a dermatologist, maybe they will tell you something new.

The gold standard for treating redness are lasers, which would also cause permanent hair loss, apart from one pulse dye laser called Vbeam. It is generally used to treat rosacea, but they're equally effective with other vascular issues. Vbeam targets dilated surface capillaries, causing them to shrink, or with purpuric settings (more Joules and different spotsize), causing them to effectively burst and disappear. The blood vessels feeding your follicles are much deeper and at a wave length of only 595 nm, Vbeam wouldn't reach them (the other pulse dye laser, 
Nd:YAG most likely would). I've had a total of 4 Vbeam treatments thus far and the redness is much better these days. I would say mine was comparable to yours at around the year mark. I didn't shave my hair for the first 3 treatments so it's possible that my hair has absorbed the energy from the laser and that's why my forth treatment, for which I shaved my hair, appeared to be more effective. I'm planning to do 2 more treatments and then hopefully move on with my life and try to forget I ever had this dreadful HT

Lastly, for the cobblestone appearance of your skin, there's microneedling, but again, that would require a few sessions. I would recommend going to a professional rather than buy the dermaroller or dermastamp and DIY. A forum member here, @harryforrealhad some great success in treating his own plucked chicken skin.

All the best and I hope you find a way. If it's any consolation, I think your hair looks great otherwise.

Is that explanation for redness coming from a doctor or is it something you came up with by yourself? I mean the fact that is should disappear after 7 months otherwise its permanent.

On 2/24/2023 at 4:11 AM, Redmann said:

Hello all,
New member here. I am finding this thread very helpful as well, as I am suffering from extreme persistent redness (4 months in and no improvement since about week 3). Thanks for all the posts.

I was wondering if anybody else had success with the V Beam or any other words of wisdom. Unbald Eagle, if you ever read this, I would really appreciate talking to you. I am in the UK as well (London area) - I had my FUE here and, let's say, disappointing so far, both from a results and aftercare perspective.

PS - If an admin could enable me for private messages, that would be great too. Thanks all

Can u post some pics?

2 hours ago, Redhead said:

12 months mark. Still a bit red. I think it's better now then before. 

I've tried micro needling like 3-4 times and it has help with the bumpy texture and also (I think) the redness. I will keep micro needling a few more times and hopefully get rid of the cobblestone. 

I'm on the hunt for a new surgeon that can smooth out my transplant a bit. I need more single hair grafts thats not so "strong" because now it's a bit obvious that I've had a transplant. 

Do u guys think Fuegenix (Dr. Munib Ahmad) would be a good choice? I've seen some great results posted here by Dr. Munib.

Let me know what u guys think.

8C3A4983.jpg

8C3A4967.jpg

8C3A4952.jpg

The only issue I see is the redness, no need for another ht

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Harryforreal thabk you so much for your post! God bless you for taking the time to come back and let others know what the oath forward is. I saw your post about vbeam about 5 months ago and took it to heart. You are the man! And if you ever find yourself in virginia I will pay for all of your drinks 

• Like 2

Oh and Vbeam for the redness. It basicilly dissolves the blood vessles that were created by this under the skin and it's safe for hair. They use it for roasaca patients. Take a few weeks after your treatment for the red to subside as your body reabsorbs the vessles but usually 2 to 3 treatments 6 weeks apart and yoire good to go. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:51 AM, harryforreal said:

Hey buddy could you let us know any before after pics of your bumpy texture after micro-needling, also can we do this at home or by professionals only and how many microneedling sessions are required to correct the bumpyness in scalp ?

• 4 weeks later...

"Hey buddy could you let us know any before after pics of your bumpy texture after micro-needling, also can we do this at home or by professionals only and how many microneedling sessions are required to correct the bumpyness in scalp ?"

1) WoundedWolf, I know I've posted pics in my profile and/or in posts.  At this point it would take too much work to repost the same pics, because I don't have the same laptop anymore and have no idea where those pics are store.  But look at my profile pics and threads, the pics are there.

2) I don't know about home micro-needling being very effective.  The medical procedures I had done, both micro-needling and Genius Radio Frequency, are true outpatient medical procedures to be performed only by a medical specialist, not a derma-roller off Amazon.

Edited by harryforreal
Added 2) answer.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, Redhead said:

"I need more single hair grafts thats not so "strong" because now it's a bit obvious that I've had a transplant."

Yeah, I think this is where hair transplants often fail to deliver.  They look great in the brochures in the doctors' office, and also who can forget the "Hair Club for Men" tv ads with the guy coming out of the pool quickly running his fingers through his hair?  

The first image below is a TRUE REPRESENTATION:

1) some lingering redness

2) the transplant actually looks very good, but when you compare it to your side hairs, yes, then you can see where your natural hairline begins and the transplanted hairs begin.  

Most people won't notice the difference unless you point it out, so that's the good thing.

But for accurate representation, the first below high definition image truthfully shows what to expect.

I'm not sure that it's possible to create a "softer" hairline.  It's why I keep returning to this forum looking for that possibility, so if you find it, let me know, please!  :)

8C3A4983.jpg

8C3A4967.jpg

8C3A4952.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1) Medical micro-needling is NOT the same thing as a cheap derma-roller purchased from Amazon - just for clarification.  Medical micro-needling should only be performed under the supervision of a medical doctor.  It is relatively cheap and a relatively simple outpatient procedure. See below:

Removed

I2) f you care to step up to the more expensive and more involved Genius Radio Frequency micro-needling, here's information about it (generally recommended only for older individuals with sagging skin and/or turkey neck; it eliminated my turkey neck after the 1st session of 3 sessions):

Removed 

3) Both of these medical procedures are intended primarily for the face to improve skin texture.  A BONUS to purchasing these procedures is improved facial skin texture and tightness - just make sure when purchasing that you clarify that you want the hairline included for the purpose of improving the bumpy skin texture as a direct result of a hair transplant.

16 hours ago, harryforreal said:

1) Medical micro-needling is NOT the same thing as a cheap derma-roller purchased from Amazon - just for clarification.  Medical micro-needling should only be performed under the supervision of a medical doctor.  It is relatively cheap and a relatively simple outpatient procedure. See below:

Removed

I2) f you care to step up to the more expensive and more involved Genius Radio Frequency micro-needling, here's information about it (generally recommended only for older individuals with sagging skin and/or turkey neck; it eliminated my turkey neck after the 1st session of 3 sessions):

Removed 

3) Both of these medical procedures are intended primarily for the face to improve skin texture.  A BONUS to purchasing these procedures is improved facial skin texture and tightness - just make sure when purchasing that you clarify that you want the hairline included for the purpose of improving the bumpy skin texture as a direct result of a hair transplant.

This is great to hear! thank you.
How long after your first micro-needling session did you notice improvements? 

On 9/5/2023 at 3:39 AM, Bee9 said:

This is great to hear! thank you.
How long after your first micro-needling session did you notice improvements? 

Pretty quickly - within a couple weeks following the first procedure maybe?  I had purchased a series of 3 procedures spaced out every several weeks, so I noticed improvement very quickly after the 1st session and before the 2nd.  I was sold after the 1st session that I had finally found a way forward.