Is this normal?

Probably, but I have to ask anyway!

It’s day 8 from my procedure and after my shower and drying my hair with a hair dryer on cool I noticed some white flakiness on the recipient area.  I used gentle, circular motions with the pads of my fingers and some of the scabs easily came off into the sink.  In some of them, there were hairs.

I know the hairs will shed in 2-3 weeks and that the scabs should be coming off around now, I’m just wondering about the hairs in the scabs.  Is this normal?

Photo below.

A2281E39-7DAD-41A2-BE5F-651B185462DA.jpeg

BJ47,

What you are describing and experiencing is perfectly normal.  In approximately seven days after hair transplant procedure, the newly transplanted hair follicles are firmly secured Neath the surface of the scalp and could not be removed unless Don show through another surgical procedure.  Thus, any hairs that you see along with the scabs after 7 days are just the hairs themselves while the follicle remains deeply rooted and safe.

Hopefully your surgeon has given you some idea what to expect from your hair transplant and what the process looks like over the next year to 18 months.  Surgical hair restoration may start on the day of the procedure but it is a process that takes up to 18 months to come to fruition.

in other words, you will go through several progressive phases that will eventually lead to your final result which hopefully should be a full looking head of hair.   Of course, the actual result and what can be expected should have been discussed with your doctor as it often takes more than one procedure to meet your long-term and restriction goals.  

in the meantime however, you will go through phases such as shedding of the transplanteded hair, possible shock loss, uneven growth, feeling like you look worse than you did before surgery, all the healing phases in between which could show signs of information, redness, itchiness, etc.  hopefully your physician or clinic gave you some kind of timeline for all of these things and inevitably how your results will turn out.

if you have questions on any of this, please do ask on this forum as the members of this community are quite good at providing support.

I hope this helps

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.