Best Hair Length to Have Morning of Surgery

I have a repair surgery with Mwamba in January. I know I will be fully buzzed down, and Mwamba using his fancy microscopes will see everything he needs to during the actual surgery. 

However, my question revolves around the morning of surgery - before I get buzzed - when the doctor will be examining my current hair more informally and how it looks in real-life. 

Does it matter how long my hair is prior to surgery?

Specifically, my repair is regarding bad angles. I'm growing my hair out at the moment, and long hair actually makes the bad angles less of an issue to some extent. Perhaps this is a needless worry, but I wouldn't want my long hair to interfere with Mwamba's assessment and somehow underestimate the degree to which the bad angles are an issue. 

Again noting that ultimately with the shaved head and microscopes Mwamba will be able to comprehensively see the angles, but wondering if, for the pre-op, morning-of assessment, will this be an issue?

When you guys have gotten hair transplants, do you put any thought into the hair length, hairstyle, etc that you show up to surgery for?

Personally, I was advised not to cut my hair for at least 4 weeks before, so that they could see the hair quality and coverage.  

It's possible that your hair may look a bit better when it is longer.  However, it's best to speak to your surgeon about your concerns on the day and which areas you want him to pay particular attention to.  

• Like 1

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I'd be inclined to discuss this with him pre-op... I agree  he'll be able to see those same angles all short and in the procedure. However if a little grown out, the characteristics are less specific to your concerns, I'd just say that to him. In fact I'd be inclined to jot a few notes about those angles given your concerns and go over them with him. I say notes because sometimes in fact to face with a doc we forget or have one concern addressed and don't ask about the other. Just to totally ensure y'all are on the same page.

Looking forward to seeing how all this goes for you!

• Thanks 1

I had my hair very long, I don’t think hair length matters as they can shave to the ideal length on the spot if needed I imagine.

I literally went from 2.5 years of shoulder length hair to no guard.

I was told to give it at least two-three weeks of growth at the minimum 

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

22 minutes ago, ray35 said:

I'd be inclined to jot a few notes about those angles given your concerns and go over them with him. I say notes because sometimes in fact to face with a doc we forget or have one concern addressed and don't ask about the other. Just to totally ensure y'all are on the same page.

this is a great tip. 

I'm likely going to be jet-lagged, sleep-deprived, excited and probably even a bit nervous the morning of surgery - it can be easy to forget to mention something with everything going on. 

• Like 1