Greetings.

I wanted to clear up the PRP issue once and for all. I have seen a lot of opinions on the timing of a PRP injection after a hair transplant.

Some doctors recommend doing it ten days after the transplant.
Others recommend doing it after three weeks. And others (which are the majority of what I know) recommend doing it two months after the transplant.

What is behind each of these opinions? After all, the timing of the PRP injection is the most important to get good results. And if you do it too late, you may miss this important window that encourages the growth of grafts.

I would love to hear your opinion, but please, any opinion regarding the timing of the PRP injection would be accompanied by an explanation so that we also understand the reason for your professional opinion.

Information about me: I had a hair transplant two weeks ago, and on the day of the transplant itself I received a PRP treatment. I would like to know, please, when to do the first IPRF treatment after the transplant (my clinic recommended 3 weeks later, but as I wrote above, there are a lot of opinions on the subject, so I preferred to consult you).

And also wants to know, what is the right difference to wait between treatment and treatment? There are different opinions here too -
One protocol says to do the first and second treatment a month apart, then a third treatment after three months and then a fourth treatment after 6 months.
Another protocol means to do 4 treatments with an equal difference of 4 months between treatments.

Thank you very much for your time.

2 hours ago, gilos said:

Greetings.

I wanted to clear up the PRP issue once and for all. I have seen a lot of opinions on the timing of a PRP injection after a hair transplant.

Some doctors recommend doing it ten days after the transplant.
Others recommend doing it after three weeks. And others (which are the majority of what I know) recommend doing it two months after the transplant.

What is behind each of these opinions? After all, the timing of the PRP injection is the most important to get good results. And if you do it too late, you may miss this important window that encourages the growth of grafts.

I would love to hear your opinion, but please, any opinion regarding the timing of the PRP injection would be accompanied by an explanation so that we also understand the reason for your professional opinion.

Information about me: I had a hair transplant two weeks ago, and on the day of the transplant itself I received a PRP treatment. I would like to know, please, when to do the first IPRF treatment after the transplant (my clinic recommended 3 weeks later, but as I wrote above, there are a lot of opinions on the subject, so I preferred to consult you).

And also wants to know, what is the right difference to wait between treatment and treatment? There are different opinions here too -
One protocol says to do the first and second treatment a month apart, then a third treatment after three months and then a fourth treatment after 6 months.
Another protocol means to do 4 treatments with an equal difference of 4 months between treatments.

Thank you very much for your time.

well there is no explanation cause there are no randomized control studies to give you precise guidelines. 

The current expert consensus pooled from many low quality studies is to have one prp every 4 weeks for 3 times. 

and then 1 prp every 6 months - 12 months after that. 

basically if you can afford it do it frequently

I had one on the day of the HT, then another after one month, and then a third six months post-op. I was then recommended to have one every six months thereafter.

I don't know too much about PRP myself to be honest, so I'm not sure if the above is the best way or not. 

I had PRP treatment done (derma pen) method after 1 month post operation at 1mm.
It didn't seem to have a negative impact on the result, though I'd advice against derma pens regardless since your scalp is still healing.  

I had a HT recently (Mwamba). They did PRP just after finishing the HT, and recommended doing one every 3 months for best results (even if its not in their clinic).

I personally think PRP is borderline useless and no scientific research has proven its efficacy in hair loss ever. If you inject saline placebo vs PRP, both groups gain about same hair. It is believed the mere fact of injecting the scalp promotes growth factors which is the downstream effect of hair growth.

However! in some knee and elbow injury studies, PRP has shown to increase considerably recovery time, and HT is kind of a "injury" in your body that you are healing, so I think there might be some merit into it for this specific purpose.

Personally, I am doing my PRP sessions even if im skeptical just in case, money is not a problem for me luckily.

10 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

However! in some knee and elbow injury studies, PRP has shown to increase considerably recovery time, and HT is kind of a "injury" in your body that you are healing, so I think there might be some merit into it for this specific purpose.

I had PRP for tennis elbow and it did nothing in that case. I would say PRP is scammy across the board lol. 

• Like 1

I def agree its way too expensive with something that is very hit or miss for most people. I am doing HT once in a lifetime so I guess if im "wasting" money for one year is not that big of a deal haha

If you think about it: they are selling to you your own blood at ridic prices 😁

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Haha 1