How do I know if I have hairloss or not?

If i should take finasteride or not? 

If yes, should I take it for the rest of my life every day? 

Does it have any notable side effects? I've been taking them since 2 months once in 3 days, randomly, forgetting many times. 

Appreciate your input very much

20221027_121840.jpg

Screenshot_20221121-150531_WhatsApp.jpg

You have hair loss because your hairline has receded to a NW4/5 pattern. 

If you are still actively losing hair (i.e seeing a lot of shedding, finding hair everywhere) you need to get the situation under control. Finasteride is a life long commitment if you choose to take it. If you stop, you'll lose any benefits gained while on it. To see results you need to take it consistently. You can read up online on side-effects and potential alternatives.

Again, there are no guarantees but it's the only proven medication to stabilize hairloss and thicken existing hair. It may even give you some regrowth on your crown if it's not too late for the hair there. 

• Like 1

You definitely have hair loss and whether you should take Finasteride is a personal choice that should be made once you have properly educated yourself and got enough checks done for your health to feel satisfied you can start and measure against if you need to stop or see any side affects. 

I personally am on medication and would be on the side that says it's safe for the vast majority of users without significant incidence of persistent side affects but there's different opinions out there and ultimately you have to make your mind up and choose whether you want to use it. It is as others have mentioned a more of less lifetime medication or in real terms for as long as you want to keep your native hair. 

The fact that you aren't taking Finasteride regularly isn't also going to give people enough to go on in terms of telling you what could be side affects but you do have these listed on the medication pamphlets and usually can line them up if they weren't there before. 

• Like 1

@Samadeus,

To answer the question posed in the title of this topic, you have noticeable visual signs of hair loss.  In general however, visual signs of hair loss until someone loses approximately 50% of their hair and give an area. So in some individuals who can’t see visual signs of hair loss, they may have to consult a dermatologist who can evaluate their scalp under magnification.  That way, a dermatologist can determine  whether or not hair is already beginning to miniaturize.

In regards to using finasteride, you will have to use it as long as you would like it to be effective.  Thus, if you are a good responder to finasteride, you will need to continue using it to maintain your hair

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant  

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

6 hours ago, StillAlive said:

You have hair loss because your hairline has receded to a NW4/5 pattern. 

If you are still actively losing hair (i.e seeing a lot of shedding, finding hair everywhere) you need to get the situation under control. Finasteride is a life long commitment if you choose to take it. If you stop, you'll lose any benefits gained while on it. To see results you need to take it consistently. You can read up online on side-effects and potential alternatives.

Again, there are no guarantees but it's the only proven medication to stabilize hairloss and thicken existing hair. It may even give you some regrowth on your crown if it's not too late for the hair there. 

You wont lose any benefits after stopping finasteride, you will just continue losing hair at regular pace like before you started fin.

• Like 1