Playing Tourist Post-Surgery

I will be travelling to Brussels in January for a hair transplant with Dr. Mwamba. The surgery is 2 days - Friday and Saturday, and I fly back home Monday. 

I get into Brussels 8am Tuesday. I hope to do some touristy stuff then, and also all day Wednesday. 

On Sunday, Day 1 post-op, I originally was planning on just staying cooped up and lying low in my hotel room. 

If I was flying within the US for my surgery, I wouldn't think twice about staying in my hotel room the whole day. 

But...considering I'm making the trek to Europe and I'm not sure I'll ever be in Brussels again ever in my life, I hope I don't feel bad wasting an entire day there shut-in in my hotel room. 

Even with a hat, I'm still a bit concerned about getting sunburned. Also I'm certain I'm still going to be groggy and tired, I don't want to trip on a medieval cobblestone street and bash my scalp, etc. 

My question is: what have people's experiences been and thoughts on playing tourist and exploring a city, the day immediately after getting surgery? 

• Valued Contributor

Personally I think having a holiday and having a hair transplant are two separate things and in Countries like Turkey are nothing more than a marketing strategy. You could do some sight seeing before you have surgery. But a holiday is a fleeting thing whereas surgery is permanent and life long. I wouldn't want to risk bumping your head in the first weak post op, etc. End of the day though this is just my opinion and you should do what's best for you. All the best!

I'm 100% in agreement of staying in the hotel, recovery in the first few days post surgery is of major importance 

When I did mine in Turkey, I stayed 2 nights at the hotel and flew back to my country. I was too much of a bloody mess to walk in the street

When I did mine in India, I stayed a full 24 hours in the hotel to recover and then I decided to put on a surgical cap on and walk around in the street in the 3rd day(during afternoon/evening) never during the hottest hours.  Keeping the scalp hydrated with the provided spray and away from any dusts or toxins. That's my experience

I understand that it's difficult to stay locked in the hotel room all day and there's only an amount of movie or series to watch before it gets boring. You just have to keep yourself safe at all times, avoiding situations where you bump your grafts or causing major blood pressure towards your head.. Just have to be cautious and patient. Good luck

Question about that flight the day after... any concern about flying so soon after a transplant. I'm considering flying and trying to gauge what is right in that regard.

Also 100% on suggestions here... just lay low and rest, don't do the tourism thing, just rest and let that initial healing get underway.

53 minutes ago, ray35 said:

Question about that flight the day after... any concern about flying so soon after a transplant. I'm considering flying and trying to gauge what is right in that regard.

Also 100% on suggestions here... just lay low and rest, don't do the tourism thing, just rest and let that initial healing get underway.

I literally just responded to your thread, before even noticing you posted here haha. 

Thanks for the advice. Yea I think I'm just going to lay low to my flight. 

You can see your thread for my advice to you, but TLDR: you can fly home on Day 2 post-op, just be cautious and cognizant of your surroundings. 

• Like 1