Hair transplant and Stress

I have scheduled my hair transplant for January - however unfortunately im going through major life event and is under lot of stress and anxiety....If stress and axiety doesnt level of by January is it bad timing to do a transplant ?

Edited by Jay

Oxidative stress always has a detrimental effect on your overall health and situation.

In regard to hair, it can accelerate your genetically pre-determined hair-loss. I.e, you will not lose more hair than you were programmed to lose due to stress (indeed, a NW 0 werewolf could be thrown into a warzone and come back with all of their hair) but any hair that you WERE going to lose may fall off that much faster. That can be tricky when transplanting a NW3-NW4 where you still have a strong forelock left, as you could get your HT and then witness the native hair permanently shedding, thus creating an uneven result.

If you are covering completely bald areas, you are on a better boat, but you may affect your growth rates and smooth recovery. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StillAlive said:

Oxidative stress always has a detrimental effect on your overall health and situation.

In regard to hair, it can accelerate your genetically pre-determined hair-loss. I.e, you will not lose more hair than you were programmed to lose due to stress (indeed, a NW 0 werewolf could be thrown into a warzone and come back with all of their hair) but any hair that you WERE going to lose may fall off that much faster. That can be trily bald cky when transplanting a NW3-NW4 where you still have a strong forelock left, as you could get your HT and then witness the native hair permanently shedding, thus creating an uneven result.

If you are covering completely bald areas, you are on a better boat, but you may affect your growth rates and smooth recovery. 

Ya am on NW 6 so mostly bald area

@Jay,

It’s honestly going to be difficult giving you any specific advice regarding whether or not you should proceed with hair transplant surgery in January without knowing the specifics of your circumstances.

That said, if whatever you’re going through doesn’t limit your ability to undergo surgery, then proceeding might be a plausible option for you.  However, if attempting to undergo hair transplant surgery while attempting to resolve any emotionally and/or physically difficult circumstances causes you any extreme, undue stress or turmoil, then it might be plausible to wait until your circumstances change prior to proceeding with your procedure.

If you are willing to share the specifics of your circumstances, it would be a lot easier to provide more specific input.

Best wishes,

Bill

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Jay,

It’s honestly going to be difficult giving you any specific advice regarding whether or not you should proceed with hair transplant surgery in January without knowing the specifics of your circumstances.

That said, if whatever you’re going through doesn’t limit your ability to undergo surgery, then proceeding might be a plausible option for you.  However, if attempting to undergo hair transplant surgery while attempting to resolve any emotionally and/or physically difficult circumstances causes you any extreme, undue stress or turmoil, then it might be plausible to wait until your circumstances change prior to proceeding with your procedure.

If you are willing to share the specifics of your circumstances, it would be a lot easier to provide more specific input.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for you reply - i was more concerned as to does stress have any affect on the implanted hair given that i can go ahead with the surgery

On 10/24/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jay said:

Thank you for you reply - i was more concerned as to does stress have any affect on the implanted hair given that i can go ahead with the surgery

You’ll be fine. Stress or no stress can’t directly have any impact on transplanted hair and its growing. The chemistry of your scalp is what matters.  

You might be stressed with the entire procedure and event but that’s something you’ll have to bear the burden of if you choose. 

Jay,

I understand your question. But there are reasons why I asked for more detail. For example, there are various levels and degrees of stress and at the ultimate, high and traumatic level, yes stress can impact hair growth whether it’s natural or transplanted.  That said, typical every day stress or not affect hair whether it’s transplanted or natural.

So if you would like opinions on whether or not whatever you’re going through may produce the kind of stress that could impact hair growth, we might need to know more information. I understand that it might be personal but this is an anonymous forum so it’s totally up to you if you want to share.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I think this is an interesting question and I’ve wondered the same at times. I think what you’re asking is: “Can high levels of stress somehow impact the graft survival or ability for the graft to establish itself permanently?”

Edited by 5BetaReductase

In the past 45 years I can recall approximately a dozen or so men who had HT surgery and either were already in or immediately post-op went into an acutely stressful period in their lives…some were going through awful separation/divorce, loss of a loved one, loss of employment, incarceration, things like that and the accompanying stress level was extremely high… this resulted in delayed or stunted regrowth of their grafts…in other words, the stress held many of their transplanted hair follicles in the dormant phase…some of these men were advised to use minoxidil to facilitate the delayed regrowth which in some cases helped…BUT, it was mostly when the stress was treated with professional help that their grafts finally moved into the growth phase and just like magic, hair started appearing!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 minutes ago, gillenator said:

In the past 45 years I can recall approximately a dozen or so men who had HT surgery and either were already in or immediately post-op went into an acutely stressful period in their lives…some were going through awful separation/divorce, loss of a loved one, loss of employment, incarceration, things like that and the accompanying stress level was extremely high… this resulted in delayed or stunted regrowth of their grafts…in other words, the stress held many of their transplanted hair follicles in the dormant phase…some of these men were advised to use minoxidil to facilitate the delayed regrowth which in some cases helped…BUT, it was mostly when the stress was treated with professional help that their grafts finally moved into the growth phase and just like magic, hair started appearing!

Great insight. Did they get good yield however?

Most of them did however some did not.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, gillenator said:

Most of them did however some did not.

In that case, stress seems to have affected the final yield per your examples. So I don’t think it’s fair to say that once the stress was remediated, then all the hair grew

Not all of them stayed in contact with me and not all of them actively pursued therapy for their stress…what I did clearly observe was that the ones who wanted help and “actively” pursued and received help had outstanding results.

Gillenator