When does shock loss and ugly duckling usually start?

Hey guys

like the subject line reads, when does shock loss usually happen?

also, when does the ugly duckling period start?

I know these two things are different and not all people experience shock loss, but those who do, when do they start experiencing these events?

Mine started for real at almost a month post-op. I'd say about 90% of transplanted hair shed and I also saw some shock loss in my forelock, all perfectly reasonable. But I went through the first three weeks with my awesome NW1 marine buzzed hairline thinking I'd be that magical unicorn that just immediately grows and looks like a million bucks on the third month. 

Ugly duckling peaks at around 2-2.5 months post op and it's not uncommon to begin observing growth from the 3rd month onwards. You still are going to look pretty terrible, but you actually get to watch progress from that point on. 

• Like 1

Mood Swings,

it varies for everybody however, the ugly duckling phase typically starts between 1.5 months and 3 months. I always told  people that new growth typically begins between 3 and 5 months so even though The third month is typically the projected magic month everyone’s expecting to see new signs of growth or more even, in many cases, new growth doesn’t even start until the fourth or even fifth month. So the ugly duckling phase can last a little while depending on the patient.

Best advice I can give you is to be patient and trust the process. And if you haven’t yet undergone her transplant surgery, make sure you select an excellent surgeon based on a proven track record of producing outstanding results.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 10/20/2022 at 3:43 PM, StillAlive said:

Mine started for real at almost a month post-op. I'd say about 90% of transplanted hair shed and I also saw some shock loss in my forelock, all perfectly reasonable. But I went through the first three weeks with my awesome NW1 marine buzzed hairline thinking I'd be that magical unicorn that just immediately grows and looks like a million bucks on the third month. 

Ugly duckling peaks at around 2-2.5 months post op and it's not uncommon to begin observing growth from the 3rd month onwards. You still are going to look pretty terrible, but you actually get to watch progress from that point on. 

Which month mark do you reckon one can pull off something decent with hair fibres?

Edited by keratin_matters