FUE Vs Strip

Pardon me for my ignorant quetsion..but want to get educated !!

What is FUE and strip - I mean the difference between them.

Is there any difference in percentage of success rate - the number of grafts that grow after transplant ?

Any difference in the result - I mean the looks ?

Any Difference with regards to shock loss and scarring ??

Why the big difference in cost ?

Pardon me for my ignorant quetsion..but want to get educated !!

What is FUE and strip - I mean the difference between them.

Is there any difference in percentage of success rate - the number of grafts that grow after transplant ?

Any difference in the result - I mean the looks ?

Any Difference with regards to shock loss and scarring ??

Why the big difference in cost ?

Im positive that if you use the "search" feature on this forum and also elsewhere on the internet you will find the answers to those questions. The best answers on this forum are from discussions that have alot of the veterans and even some Dr's participating. Take some advice witha grain of salt, but most is very very good stuff. Good luck

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

Dear HT curious:

here are some answers

1. FUE or FIT refers to a technique by which individual follicular untis are taken out from the donor area with a punch (a device that looks like a cookie cutter). FUE is an acronym for Follicular Unit Extraction coined by Rassman and Bernstein and FIT is an acronym for Follicular Unit Isolation named by Rose and Cole.Usually the punch device is 0.75 -0.1 mm in diameter.

Strip harvesting refers to cutting out a strip of tissue often 1cm or slighly more in width and over 20 cm in length. The strip is cut down into smaller pieces and ultimately down to grafts. Those of us who use Follicular unit grafting utilize microscopes to develop the initial pieces termed slivers and then cut these down under the microscope to produce the individual follicular units. The strip harvesting technique produces a linear scar and must be sutured or stapled closed.

With FUE we are generally limited to producing small numbers of grafts at a session; perhaps 400-700+ grafts. With strip harvesting it is not unusual to produce over 2500 grafts at a single session.

FUE is an exceptionally tedious process

2. In terms of growth there does not appear to be any difference in the success of the grafts growing.Because the recipient area is generally approached the same way one would not expect a difference. Some mgiht contend that the grafts are palced sooner with FUE and might start to grow sooner but there are cases where growth has been delayed with both methods

3.Again one would not expect a difference inr esutls based on individual grafts growing. The difference may arise from the fact that more grafts can be done in session of strip harvested follicular unit grafts. Given equal numbers of grafts the results would be the same.

4.There would not be a differnece in terms of shock loss. In terms of scarring, FUE does not produce a linear scar. The wounds created with the small punches leave no evidence of scar except in rare cases. As a result patients who undergo FUE are more likely to be able to shave their heads and not reveal evidence of a procedure.That said there have been cases where patients who have undegone FUE have developed areas of hypopigmentation (light or white colored spots) where the grafts were taken from. This is more likely to occur in patients of Hispanic, Middle Eastern or Black African heritage.These people may also get increased pigmentation if the area. insuch cases patients would probably be unable to shave the head without revealing the procedure. Also as more and more grafts are extracted there can be a "moth eaten" appearnce to the donor area and in areas where the grafts are taken close together, a scar may be evident.

5.The difference in cost relates to the fact that the procedure is much more tedious.

Paul T Rose, MD

paultrose@yahoo.com

612 965 4247

813 259 9889

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr.Rose

Thank you for your time and the knowledge you have shared.

Your input certainly has helped me to take a decision on this issue with regards to my 2nd HT. Since i have had the first Ht as a strip, I think there is no point in going for FUE.Since I would have a scar anyways.

Thank you again.