Recommendations for the next steps

Hello,

i want to use this platform to get some recommendations how to handle my hair situation.

I‘m 27 years old and would classify myself as Norwood III vertex currently.

Of course i‘ve done already a lot of research and read many threads here. My previous idea was to get done a hair trainsplant within one year in Turkey because of the affordable prices and some good results on the Internet.

But after my research here i came to the conclusion, that this wouldn‘t be a good idea and an operation like this should never be a question of money, as it is a life changing decision which shouldn‘t cause more problems as there already are. No need of taking that risk.

But the question now is, what could be the alternative.I think you can understand that it‘s really annoying at this age to have this situation, so a quick solution is desirable.

I‘m actually really surprised how often here Finasterid is recommended. I know that the side effects only affects few people, but the danger of a post finasteride syndrome (which i think should be taken seriously)  could have the same effect as a bad hairtransplant. Both could influence the life consistently negative. So i‘m acutally not a fan of trying finasterid, as it really affects the body and hormone balance.

I‘ve startet one week ago to use Monoxidil but actually don‘t expect much from it.

So what would you recommend how to handle my situation? I think I acutally could afford a transplant at a good clinic that could be a good compromiss between the top class clinics which calculates 4-5€ per graft and all the harimills etc. (F.e. maybe Bruno Pinto who has great results) But at this stage of my life i think you understand that this amount of money really isn‘t an easy invest. Also it is not recommended to make a transplant that early, as the hair loss can progress.

I would love to enjoy my life again fully without being restricted from this problem and get more confidence back, as the situation is really annoying, so i would like to solve the issue as early as possible.

Thanks in advance for your hints and recommendations!

• Administrators

Get on medication, you can try a topical finasteride like XYONHealth you can use saw palmetto as well. There are options, but if you’re not willing to stop the root cause getting a hair transplant might not be the best idea.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

A few items I'd like to bring up.  

1) Talk to an actual dermatologist about Finasteride.  I see you mention PFS, which is largely an internet supported idea.  The actual scientific literature, as you should ask your doctor about, does not support this being a widespread issue.  There are also topical solutions that an actual doctor might recommend.

2) Before you start rubbing random research chemicals on your head, keep in mind that these are not widely researched.  There are 25+ year studies on finasteride.  RU on the other hand has weak to no scientific data behind it.

3) You mention "solving the problem" of hairloss.  This is a warning flag to me.  Hairloss is a progressive issue.  You will be dealing with it your whole life. Even with medical treatment.  Even with a transplant.  Hairloss will continue to progress.  Keep this in mind and plan for the future.  At 25 I had diffuse thinning and was capable of a decent haircut.  At age 30 I was norwood 6.  

I would personally never do a transplant without medical therapy that addresses DHT.  Other people are free to make their minds up.  Just do yourself a favor and look at repair work from plugs.  Then look at repair work from FUT, then look at FUE repair work.  These represent people that were like you, in their 20s who are now in their 50s and 60s.  Most FUT and plug repairs come from a time when finasteride was not available.  A lot of FUE repairs are more recent, people now in their 30s, who didn't take therapy, (or sometimes even those who did) and their baldness progressed anyway, leaving them islands of hair in the front, and no option to shave their head.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MisterBreakfast said:

A few items I'd like to bring up.  

1) Talk to an actual dermatologist about Finasteride.  I see you mention PFS, which is largely an internet supported idea.  The actual scientific literature, as you should ask your doctor about, does not support this being a widespread issue.  There are also topical solutions that an actual doctor might recommend.

2) Before you start rubbing random research chemicals on your head, keep in mind that these are not widely researched.  There are 25+ year studies on finasteride.  RU on the other hand has weak to no scientific data behind it.

3) You mention "solving the problem" of hairloss.  This is a warning flag to me.  Hairloss is a progressive issue.  You will be dealing with it your whole life. Even with medical treatment.  Even with a transplant.  Hairloss will continue to progress.  Keep this in mind and plan for the future.  At 25 I had diffuse thinning and was capable of a decent haircut.  At age 30 I was norwood 6.  

I would personally never do a transplant without medical therapy that addresses DHT.  Other people are free to make their minds up.  Just do yourself a favor and look at repair work from plugs.  Then look at repair work from FUT, then look at FUE repair work.  These represent people that were like you, in their 20s who are now in their 50s and 60s.  Most FUT and plug repairs come from a time when finasteride was not available.  A lot of FUE repairs are more recent, people now in their 30s, who didn't take therapy, (or sometimes even those who did) and their baldness progressed anyway, leaving them islands of hair in the front, and no option to shave their head.

I think he shouldn’t try finasteride actually anymore after reading about PFS and he’s probably been to the forum. And he seems to have formed a strong opinion about finasteride as well.

They did a trial actually where people who weren’t told about side effects did better than those who were told about side effects. Heck, they even did a study where people on placebo had post sugarpill syndrome ( they didn’t get finasteride but thought they did ). The beautiful thing is that their symptoms persisted for more than 6 months and all they received was placebo pills. 

When I read his post, he seems like a person that shouldn’t be trying finasteride at all. He’s surprised fin is recommended freely. 

I think people seriously underestimate the power of mind concerning sexual health and mind/brain health.

4 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

I think he shouldn’t try finasteride actually anymore after reading about PFS and he’s probably been to the forum. And he seems to have formed a strong opinion about finasteride as well.

They did a trial actually where people who weren’t told about side effects did better than those who were told about side effects. Heck, they even did a study where people on placebo had post sugarpill syndrome ( they didn’t get finasteride but thought they did ). The beautiful thing is that their symptoms persisted for more than 6 months and all they received was placebo pills. 

When I read his post, he seems like a person that shouldn’t be trying finasteride at all. He’s surprised fin is recommended freely. 

I think people seriously underestimate the power of mind concerning sexual health and mind/brain health.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want to debate this issue since it's been debated ad-nauseum.  I do however support him getting the advice from someone who knows what they are talking about, like a doctor.  Seeing someone reference PFS, is a sign that they may have been doing internet research, instead of consulting with well supported scientific literature, or someone who can relate the literature to him.

Thanks guys for the input.

Its really great to have such a platform to get these kind of advises, so keep the good work up, its really helpful.

I maybe expressed myself a bit unclear. Solving the problem was meant to just get a better look in this still young age back. It’s clear that the hair loss will progress but I thought that with a good transplant there could be a good result even for the future with a foresighted operation.

I‘ve just lot of respect regarding to medication like finasterid, as it really affects the processes in the natural body, so it shouldn‘t be taken that easily. Even if the side effects aren‘t visible there are process changes in the body, thats what is a bit „scary“ to me. Not even really the side effects, but i‘m acutally the type of person who tries to stick as far as possible on natural processes and products.

But you are completly right, its better to talk to real expertst. I will consider this and try to find a good solution and don‘t rush into a hair transplant. I think I must accept the fate for the moment and settle with the current situation to try to find the best solution that really is sustainably successful. That also was the target by asking here for advise, what could be the right action for the moment.