LIfetime grafts

Hi all

Currently about NW2/3 at 33yo and have been getting some consultations for an HT. I've been thinking about this with a lifetime grafts perspective. In other words, if I did reach NW6/7, would I have enough grafts for nearly full coverage. It seems the consultations I've been getting say I have 7K lifetime grafts in the donor area if starting with FUT and FUE after. Also another 4K beard grafts available.

The question: since I get side effects with Fin, is it somewhat safe to assume a sufficient lifetime donor area can provide coverage in the long run? Of course, that might mean getting 2-3 procedures in a lifetime, but since the medication does not sit well it would be the option I go with. 

In my opinion from observations. 7K Grafts is pretty effective and will give you strong coverage and somewhat strong density if you are a Norwood 5. 

Once you hit Norwood 6 you will be a in very difficult scenario where you will probably need to use up those 7K + 4K Beard Grafts to get coverage on top. If you hit Norwood 7 you are going to have to accept a degree of thinness/baldness. If you do hit 6/7 you will need to save up and go to someone with a strong and consistent portfolio with skills in BHT.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Js12,

Dr. Rahal has a scientific formula to determine ones available donor hair over the course of one’s lifetime.

But to answer your question, yes, if you have enough available donor over the course of your lifetime, you will at least have enough to provide adequate coverage and density in the areas you lose hair.  However, “enough“ donor hair is a relative word and it will depend on many factors.  This includes how much hair you lose and where and exactly what you would be satisfied with in terms of density and coverage.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

The question needs more information.  Ie. How many hairs per graft do you have?  Some people have 3-5 hairs per graft, others have 1-2 hairs per graft.  This alone could affect results 2-3x.

Additionally, what is the diameter of your hair?  If you are Asian, and have 120micron hair, that's a very different story than if you are European and have 50 micron hair.  This is another 2-3x coverage difference.

How many follicles per cm squared are in your donor?  Europeans tend to have the most, others usually have less (but benefit from other qualities like hair with larger diameter). Of course there are exceptions to these as well.

Another factor is hair texture, this is a little less important, but there is still a big difference between curly hair and straight hair.

Head size is another factor that isn't often talked about- but what is the size of the area you are planning for.  Let's say you are NW2 - 3 today.  What happens if you go to NW6-7 in 20 years?  How much scalp would you have to cover?  What would you be ok with?

Finally, what's the hair - skin contrast?  If you are light complected/pale, with dark hair, you will need more hair to cover the same area than if you are dark complected and have the same color hair.

Anyway, I don't want split too many hairs, but these are some of the things I think you should add into your equation when you are planning your lifetime hair transplant plan.

Edited by MisterBreakfast
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the responses here. This new info has helped me think about the long-term plan. Answers to some of the above questions: -donor at 80 FU/cm2, -wavy/coarse/thick texture, so perhaps the texture is an a benefit in the long run. If I did get to NW6/7 it seems like I'd have 310 sq cm to cover. So maybe 20 FU (2 hairs each) per sq cm gets to a 40 hairs per sq cm density which is passable from what I understand. 20 FU * 310 sq cm = 6200 FUs. This is just how I've been thinking about it based on my research...

• Moderators

If you are worried about it then just get a conservatively placed hairline. If you have a hairline, but it's receded and thinning then sometimes just reinforcing the current hairline without lowering it can make a nice difference without using up too many grafts. It can take up to 1000 grafts to lower a hairline just 1 centimeter. You can always lower it later.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.