Is ARTAS really that bad?

ARTAS machines were not rated highly because of the issues with how initially they didn't have the ability to match skilled doctors and required a very adept Dr who knew how to coax the best out of them and even then needed umpteen updates and improvements in design and still imo aren't at the level of the best in the world. 

The theory of these machines is great. A robot process completely mechanised to transplant hair more precise and at angles no human hand could ever hope to recreate as close to nature as possible and potentially in even better density through fully mechanised measurements for each individual scalp. 

Unfortunately the reality is they don't have the level of technology required to truly make it replace doctors and probably won't for 3 decades if not more. 

When potentially unlimited clone grafts become real, i can see these robots or similar being an absolute explosion and the next "Hair Mill" style business model where maybe some may argue with the robot, they may even have a much better result than the typical hair mill gave without the over harvesting issues if they're using clone grafts or similar. Well, that's before we probably critique the typical Drake style Istanbul hairline lol

• Valued Contributor

In my book the ARTAS was really only ever meant for doctors who wanted to start out in the hair transplant industry. The punch sizes are large compared to today (1mm - 1.25mm) and Jerry Wong bought on out of interest and has only ever used his as a coffee table (literally).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's really negative here due to the high expectation and standard of good result that most of the members expect to come out of skilled hands.

if you ask me, it's better than untrained or newbie tech from a random hair mill as it eleminates human error factor, but the big punch size and inability to be flexible, only limited by the parameter that is set, means if the patient graft and follicle is out of the range of the norm, failure is likely the result. as of now, it's insufficient to replace decent/experienced tech. if developed properly and intensively, however, i do believe mechanical extraction could be far better than manual extraction. until then though, it's best to steer clear.