Question about sheeding after hair trasplant

good morning,
1 month ago I had a hair transplant.
I have been very careful when washing my hair, however, 2 days ago I noticed that I had traces of shampoo on my scalp in the implant area.
To remove this shampoo I rubbed with my fingertips, which made 250-350 hairs fall out at once.
I have not left any wounds since I did it with a wet head and without using nails.

My question is, is the drop normal? Is it possible to damage the grafts after 1 month only with the fingertips?

Thank you!

• Moderators

Most of the hair is going to shed. It's normal. I'm surprised we continue to get so many of these same questions about hair shedding. Can it be that so many guys don't even research hair transplants even just a little bit before actually getting one? Everyone who has ever posted about their hair transplant mentions that their hair fell out. How do people not know this happens.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Completely normal. You were probably too gentle after the two week mark. You’ll prob shed some more and be worse than pre-transplant but it’ll grow back in. This happens all the time from threads I’ve seen.

• Moderators

Temporary shock loss of any native hair you may have had before the transplant is normal too. Any loss in the area of the transplant is normal whether it's the transplanted hair or hair that was already there. It grows back in a few months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Discoult,

Transplanted hair typically starts shedding between 4 to 6 weeks after hair restoration surgery. Considering that you had your hair transplant one month ago, this doesn’t seem overly unusual.

Now, you weren’t real clear as to whether or not you were in the shower when this happened or if there was shampoo still in your hair sometime after your shower and you randomly noticed this.  If it’s the latter, my suggestion would be to make sure that you wash all the shampoo and conditioner off your scalp and out of your hair prior to leaving the shower. Otherwise, leftover shampoo on the scalp will likely caused itchiness, scalp dryness and irritation. That said, it’s not going to result in a loss of any transplanted hair or anything so you don’t have that to be concerned about.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.