Ouch. Help Please

I had my HT on Wednesday (It's now Sunday) and the incision area hurts like a bitch! Well, I should say, it's sore all day/night, and when I try to go to sleep it's almost impossible to lay on it. I had an HT done once before with sutures, and I can't remember discomfort even close to this bad. Is it the staples? Do I have something else perhaps going on? Or is this just normal, and if so... when the hell does it end?

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

I had my HT on Wednesday (It's now Sunday) and the incision area hurts like a bitch! Well, I should say, it's sore all day/night, and when I try to go to sleep it's almost impossible to lay on it. I had an HT done once before with sutures, and I can't remember discomfort even close to this bad. Is it the staples? Do I have something else perhaps going on? Or is this just normal, and if so... when the hell does it end?

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

Honestly, I never really swelled. The donor area is just really really sensitive, which I expect somewhat considering what was just done to my head, but do others have this much trouble sleeping days after surgery?

Originally posted by Foundation:

Honestly, I never really swelled. The donor area is just really really sensitive, which I expect somewhat considering what was just done to my head, but do others have this much trouble sleeping days after surgery?

Trouble sleeping the first 10-14 days after surgery is not unusual. Many people have to stay at a 45 degree angle to reduce swelling for 3-5 days. The donor area is often sore for 10-14 days until your sutures or staples are removed. Then it is much easier to sleep. You should call your doctor and ask his advice. He may recommend some pain medication. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I am done with the 45 degree angle. It bothers my head too much and I figure if I haven't swelled by now, I'm probably not going to right? I'm off to pick up a gel pack now, that's great advice. Thanks again.

Please Grow Please, you are a lifesaver!!!! I just picked one up, and it's the best thing. It's so comfortable! Thank you so much, seriously.

foundation:

Congratulation for HT. Thanks for sharing your results with a weblog. Did you have any grafts behind the hairline?

As for the pain, ask dr. Feller to prescribe you valium before going to bed. During the day, you may take Tylenol or something stronger like Emprecet (prescription required). This is what my doctor recommended, although i did not need anything as my HT was painless.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

According to dr. Bernstein, who used to use suture but now is switching to staples, there is actually less shockloss with staples. For more details check his answer:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.co...-Sutures-and-Staples

Sutures however, are much more comfortable for patients and leave a less visible scar.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Originally posted by latinlotus:

foundation:

Congratulation for HT. Thanks for sharing your results with a weblog. Did you have any grafts behind the hairline?

Well, I did have about 800 grafts that he shaved off to put the new ones in right around there, but to answer your question, I didn't. Dr. Feller said that shock loss would be too much of a risk... but you're actually tapping into my biggest fear. I really don't want to end up with a nice hairline and than blank spots right behind it. And who wants to jump right back in the chair right?

Foundation:

During my research, i read a study a HT doctor(i forgot from who maybe Bernstein or Beehner or Keene) that finds that transection of native hairs during HT, while always a risk, rarely causes PERMANENT death of that hair. It seems that the blade must cut the hair follicle in a very specific way in order to kill that follicle. For instance, it seems that if the blade cut 1/3 of the follicle, it is not sufficient to kill it. For those of you who want to remove body hairs, you all notice how difficult it is to remove unwanted hair.

I do agree that temporary shock loss is not a rare occurrence though. I think i might have had a minor shock loss of native hair after my HT.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

The vicodin that Dr. Feller prescribed definitely helped me. But spex is right, when you get those staples out, you will feel a world of difference. And don't worry about the actual staple removal- that won't hurt. I was freaking out for 2 days prior, thinking that is would be painful but it wasn't.