oral fin or topical for a 60 year old

hockeyman

Hello

Looking for a bit of advice from the knowlwdgeable posters on this board. I am turning 60 soon and have noticed some increased thining in my crown after having been stable for many years. I have never taken any hairloss meds. Notably, I do have some degree of erectile dysfunction. My erections certainly are not "diamond cutters" anymore. As well, I do have an enlarged prostate, although not to the extent that I have sought treatment. My questions relate to the use of finasteride in older men.

1. Do older men tend to have as good a results as younger men? If any older finasteride users are reading this post I would appreciate hearing about your experience (results/side effects). 

2. Somehow, against all odds, I have retained a decent amount of hair in my hairline area although a lot is minituarized but it seems too stubborn to fall out. I have read the odd account of people going through a massive shed after starting fin that doesn't regrow - particularly in the frontal zone. Any thoughts on this?

3. My crown is my biggest concern at this point. I am considering a topical fin (maybe the xyon version) or another version that would be available to Canadians, as this would allow me to directly address the crown. At least in theory, a topical might reduce the risk of side effects. On the other hand, oral fin could potentially benefit all the hair on my scalp. If I opt for oral I was considering starting at .5 mg eod. 

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S.   It would have been nice to discuss this with my PCP. However, when I phoned the clinic the other day, I was informed he closed his practice. Now I need to find a new guy which will be very difficult in my city.

Why not get a hair transplant? You’re not going to lose your hairs anymore so finasteride is useless for that. And finasteride at best will thicken existing hairs no regrowth.

The only benefit I can see is it will shrink your prostate, maybe you want to take it for that