1 Year Propecia Help

Ole81

Hi Guys,

I am 28 years old and I started to notice that my hairline was receding about a year and half ago. I decided to try Rogaine foam but after 3 months on Rogaine my hair started getting thin in the areas I applied it. I went to dermatologist who diagnosed my hair loss as MPH by doing a hair pull test. He prescribed me propecia which I have been taking for 1 year now and told me to stop using rogaine.

During the first 4 to 5 months on propecia I was shedding a lot of hair. In the past year I went from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 5. So after one year on propecia I have not seen any of the shedded hair grow back.

I am wondering if the dermatologist diagnosis was incorrect and have a question for you guys. If my hair loss was caused from a hormonal imbalance or some other medical problem how long would it take for permanent damage to happen to my scalp? What is the best way for me to determine the cause of my hair loss?

My current regimen is.

1mg Propecia per day.

Monixidil (vertex) twice a day.

Nizoral 3-4 times per week

Ole81,

Propecia won't cause permanent damage to your scalp. Permanent hair loss is also not a side effect of Propecia. An initial shedding period is common, but is usually a sign of the medication working.

If your hair loss is caused by something other than DHT, Propecia would have no positive or negative effect on your hair. Potential sexual and other side effects are possible as per Propecia's website.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the Reply. I read that it is important to find the cause of your hair loss because if it is caused by something other then DHT it can cause scarring and other permanent damage. I was wondering how long it would take for something like that to happen?