Am I a candidate for FUE surgery?

Hi all

In March 2021 I looked in the mirror and decided - far too late I admit - to try and do something about my hair (or lack of).

I started taking oral finasteride and applying topical minoxidil, then after 6 months moved to oral dutasteride 0.5mg every other day, with no side effects from any of that. My hair improved a lot, but still needs a transplant to restore the crown and hairline.

I have started making contact with a few clinics but they all have very different recommended approaches based on my pictures of my hair in various states as at present day, which should be attached.

I've also attached a timeline showing where I started.

Based on these pictures, what do you think my approach should be? My goal really is to improve my hairline (thicker and a little lower) and to cover the crown.

Is this realistic? I have quite fine hair but a good beard donor.

IMG_20220710_092306.jpg

IMG_20220710_092330.jpg

IMG_20220710_092600.jpg

IMG_20220710_092617.jpg

IMG_20220710_092639.jpg

IMG_20220710_092701.jpg

IMG_20220719_073040.jpg

IMG_20220722_083535.jpg

15 month progress timeline.jpg

Everything on top is at risk.  If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  I'm glad to hear you are doing a medical regimen to help you with retention.  Only a few percentages of people experience enhancement.  Regardless of what happens, pls do not stop. You may want to incorporate PRP/Laser. These can help reverse the thinning.  Research.

One of the basic concepts I like to discuss is donor limitation.  There is typically not enough hair available to allow for density in the front, mid-scalp and crown.  So, if there is a limitation, where do we want to put it, so it serves the patient well now and in the future? The front.  It is the area you see when you look at yourself.  It is also the area others see when they interact with you. Now the crown.

Think of the crown as a circle.  We fill it with hair.  You then go on to lose all the hair around the circle, you would look like a target.  It is for this reason retention of the hair becomes imperative.  This explanation is somewhat simplistic and there is more to it, but you get the gest.  So, when is the right time to do a crown?

Once you are happy with the front, and you can confirm the meds are working, you can then work the crown.  (Understanding you need to keep up all medical modalities). 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, thanks so much for the feedback above. Just to let you know I have booked an FUE procedure with Dr. Gur via Fuecapilar in Istanbul in mid October.

Not looking forward to the first week of recovery, but very excited indeed about improving the look of my hair.