Temporary use of topical min to treat recipient shock loss

I'm 5 weeks post my 2nd HT and seem to be suffering from shock loss to previously transplanted hair in my mid-scalp. This may be related to an infection I posted on in this forum. 

Given that I only have transplanted hair in the affected area, I was wondering if it's possible to use topical min temporarily in order to minimize the impact of the shock loss and accelerate growth. 

28 minutes ago, JoselitoElGallo said:

Yes, Usually after 15 days of HT you can use minox on donor areas

Yes, I'm aware.

My question is - is it ok to use min temporarily in my case? given that I only have transplanted hair in the shock loss area (from 1st and 2nd transplant), what are the consequences of stopping min after 3-4 months.

transplanted hair normally starts growing month 3 from HT.

shock loss is the term people use if the surrounding native hair falls out and be bald for temporarily or permanently due to the trauma, but for your case, it's not shock loss in your empty recipient area. if the graft survived, it'd grow later, if not, then the affected area probably didn't survive due to the infection.

it could help though, unless you have a condition that makes u unable to tolerate minox, it'd be good to use.

3 hours ago, mafpe said:

but for your case, it's not shock loss in your empty recipient area

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have hair from my first transplant (6 years ago) which has shed unexpectedly 4 weeks after my 2nd procedure and doesn't seem to be growing. This is shock loss... (not referring to the expected shed of the hair from the 2nd transplant).

Now, I'm well aware that minoxi can help in these situations, but also know that stopping minoxi will result in losing the minoxi gains.
The question is - can I use it temporarily given that the area only has transplanted hair that's less prone to miniaturisation. 

image.thumb.png.71dd9ca1382abbda47286ab655d260dd.png

8 minutes ago, zerocool said:

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have hair from my first transplant (6 years ago) which has shed unexpectedly 4 weeks after my 2nd procedure and doesn't seem to be growing. This is shock loss... (not referring to the expected shed of the hair from the 2nd transplant).

Now, I'm well aware that minoxi can help in these situations, but also know that stopping minoxi will result in losing the minoxi gains.
The question is - can I use it temporarily given that the area only has transplanted hair that's less prone to miniaturisation. 

ooh my bad i thought since you said are all transplanted, it was empty.

yeah there's no problem using it temporarily, it could help speed up the resting phase, as long as u can tolerate the med.

and like u said, u know the gain is temporary but like vitamins, it's ok to take them only when needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

The only real way to know is to attempt this. One thing I might mention though is by commencing minoxidil, that in itself could cause a shed. 

I only plan to apply it in the shock loss area, which has no more than 40 hairs. I'm not concerned about a shed as I don't think it could look much worse than it does right now.

More concerned about what would happen to my transplanted hairs one I stop minoxi in a few months. 

Btw, @Gatsby - thanks for your involvement and support. I see you're very active in the community, and it's really helpful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1