Instructional guide for getting a transplant?

Hi,

New to the forum.  This is a really great website with so much value!

I'm 42 with thinning hair but not bald.  I'm considering a transplant in the future.  

I'm wondering if anyone has put together an instructional document or guide on planning and getting a transplant.  

Some topics I would like more info on:

Finding a doctor and consultations.

What kind of outcomes to expect with current hair loss situation.

Results without the use of finasteride.

Tips to help not waste time and money.

Thank you!

Evan

• Administrators

All of these questions are mostly stickied in the different sections of the sub-forums. You can also use the advanced search page to filter specific questions like 'HT without finasteride' 'Norwood 4 hair transplant', etc,. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Evan,

Welcome to the forum, there is no one size fits all when it comes to hair loss or hair transplant. Here is a link to the websites recommended doctors who can give you a consultation for free. https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

Additionally, there are some questions you should ask the doctors before anything. You should get a consultation, seek what type of hair loss you have, and a bunch of other things. 

But first you should probably state whether you are on medication, what type of hair loss you have/facing (maybe provide pictures of your scalp and beard?), family history, and whether or not you want to commit to spending a ton of money on some really good surgeons who cost a lot (Konior or H&W for example). There are many options to choose from however, some have extremely long waiting lists and some work miracles with very little grafts (donor area) that can alter a NW6/7 (Zarev).

Nonetheless, I think you should browse the site and forum and see what kind of realistic outcomes you expect to have given other peoples results and what you have to work with.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

14 hours ago, Evan42 said:

Hi,

New to the forum.  This is a really great website with so much value!

I'm 42 with thinning hair but not bald.  I'm considering a transplant in the future.  

I'm wondering if anyone has put together an instructional document or guide on planning and getting a transplant.  

Some topics I would like more info on:

Finding a doctor and consultations.

What kind of outcomes to expect with current hair loss situation.

Results without the use of finasteride.

Tips to help not waste time and money.

Thank you!

Evan

If you are just thinning and are not bald then maybe you can try medications first.

Finasteride can be very helpful in prolonging baldness. You can take it for a 8 to 12 months to see the results and then accordingly decide to continue it further. It is associated to side effects such as decrease in libido, erectile dysfunction, watery semen, etc. If you feel the side effects then you can leave the medication. The side effects are observed fairly early. In fact, as soon as you start the medication.

Monixidil can be used. It helps in increasing the blood flow to the scalp. If you have irregular blood pressure then you might want to stay away from this medication. You need to use it for 8 to 12 months prior to evaluating it's results. It's side effects can be dizziness, skin allergy etc. You can decide to use it accordingly.

Hair specific multivitamins can be added to your regimen for added benefits.

Transplant is the last resort that you should opt for. You can share some scalp pictures and all of us can give you inputs regarding what is the best course of action in your case.

Okay thanks.

I did come across someone on the forum who had a Wiki page dedicated to different topics.  When I clicked on the link however, the page said the info was not available.  Is there a wiki page available?

Yes, if you search for Spex hair transplant his website has one that I found very useful when I was researching. I’m not actually generally  the biggest fan of the guy, mainly as he seems to be extremely financially focused, often seems to be looking to grab as much cash as possible. But regardless, his guide is now free I think, doc neutral and does have a lot of great info in for anyone starting out researching hair transplants- enjoy :0)