Opinions on donor hair (thinning?)

I know my donor hair is not the best out there but what would be your honest opinion - is it worthwhile to consider HT? My untrained eyes maybe see some thinning in donor and I definitely have some retrograde alopecia around ears. I have seen few dermatologists where I live but it is hopeless to get any clue where I would stand as HT candidate from them. There are no HT clinics anywhere close (not in my country). I have done few online consultations and they all would do surgery for me. I'm thinking of high quality SMP if HT is not a right path for me. 37yo, NW3 (NW5-6 down the road), min and very low dose of topical fin.

My hair might look bit better in person than in pictures. All opinions are appreciated.

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4216.jpeg

IMG_5320.JPG

Edited by Stiig

Only an in-person microscopic exam will confirm what is going on…you may need some labs and possibly a biopsy…definitely some retro and it almost appears as early signs of DUPA throughout your scalp.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Usually short hair images are more difficult to gauge things from like Retrograde Alopecia etc. compared to longer hair. 

You would probably need to travel for a mote thorough microscopic exam but maybe you could try grow out the hair a bit more and post some pictures then for further opinions from some of the more recommended doctors. 

Also, are you taking any medication? It's imo a key part of hair loss treatment and can help strengthen even the donor area. 

19 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Usually short hair images are more difficult to gauge things from like Retrograde Alopecia etc. compared to longer hair. 

You would probably need to travel for a mote thorough microscopic exam but maybe you could try grow out the hair a bit more and post some pictures then for further opinions from some of the more recommended doctors. 

Also, are you taking any medication? It's imo a key part of hair loss treatment and can help strengthen even the donor area. 

Yes, minoxidil 1x day for 10 years now. Started topical fin as well. 

8 hours ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Why are you using only a very low dose of topical finasteride? Are you experiencing side effects with oral finasteride?

Your donor area does look thinner near the ears and the nape. Since how long have you had thinning in your donor area?

Full dose (oral) causes serious side effects - brain fog, ED and breast tenderness so it's out of question unfortunately. I'm not even sure I can tolerate microdose of topical fin in a long run. It sucks because I'm super responder to finasteride and even managed to grow hairs to slick bald hairline in a few months trial.

I think it's pretty much given I have retro and it has maybe got a tiny bit worse in a past years. Not sure I can go through HT route although some clinics say it's doable.

IMG_4334.jpeg

You should get asessed by a great hair transplant surgeon and get on

Dutasteride 0.5mg daily 

Oral minoxidil 2.5mg to 5mg depending on your bodyweight. 

That will help A LOT with both your baldness on top and potential DUPA/retrograde on the sides and back. 

Good luck 

I think your not being able to be on Finasteride even in microdosing or using topical versions which are supposedly to have a significantly better tolerance. 

Personally i think you are in a bit of a difficult position and may need to be very conservative with your hairline design to account for future hairloss and maybe consider FUT if you are okay wearing your hair longer. Also, i would recommend Microneedling alongside your Minoxodil. You should see boosted results. 

14 hours ago, Stiig said:

Full dose (oral) causes serious side effects - brain fog, ED and breast tenderness so it's out of question unfortunately. I'm not even sure I can tolerate microdose of topical fin in a long run. It sucks because I'm super responder to finasteride and even managed to grow hairs to slick bald hairline in a few months trial.

I think it's pretty much given I have retro and it has maybe got a tiny bit worse in a past years. Not sure I can go through HT route although some clinics say it's doable.

If you are not able to take finasteride or dutasteride due to their side effects then it is best to avoid a transplant. The pre existing as well as the transplanted hair will have a high chance of balding in the future. You can either shave your entire head and go for a bald look or go for hair systems.

• Like 1