Was my donor over-harvested?

I had a HT 5 years ago at a reputable clinic (2000 FUE).
I'm now looking for a second HT to improve density at the top.

However, as I submitted my photos for online consultation, some (but not all) doctors have commented that my donor was over-harvested.

I find it hard to believe that extracting 2000 grafts could result in over-harvesting, even with higher than normal transection rate due to my curly hair.

• Does this look like over-harvesting?
  • For those that were in a similar situation, how many more grafts do you think I have to give for a 2nd HT without risking the donor?

IMG_4850.jpeg

They seemed to be harvested way too much in the same area centrally in the safe zone, rather than completely spread out from back side to side

If you are happy with the hair you have on top, I would probably consider SMP to finish this off.

If you are required more surgery, I would choose carefully the person that you trust with your donor area next time... 

did they only harvest on the boxed area? i remember some doctors only take from selected area.

in a way, yes it's overharvested, and it's apparent compared to the neighboring area, but that leaves the other area to safe and easy harvesting compared to if they harvested it uniformly, it's going to be harder to harvest the subsequent times.

Edited by mafpe

Zerocool,

I agree that harvesting 2000 follicular units should not result in a moth eaten appearance and it certainly should not be considered overharvesting. However, when surgeons/technicians take too many grafts in one particular area, a moth eaten appearance can occur. Thus, even though your entire donor area may not be overharvested, some areas might be. According to the photos, this definitely looks possible.

That said, I don’t want to draw any conclusions based on a couple photos posted online. If you’d like a formal consult with Dr. Rahal, please send me a private message and I can get something set up for you. At the end of the day, i’d like to see what Dr. Rahal says about your case and what he recommends for you moving forward.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

It seems bit over harvested as I can see some patchy areas of the scalp!

How soon after transplant to evaluate donor area for overharvesting? Also is there certain hair length that we need to have prior to judging, meaning if it’s above 1 mm cut for example it shouldn’t show any of these moth eaten appearance? 

On 5/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, MAIZE1694 said:

A pic of the donor at similar length, pre-surgery, is the only way to make an accurate judgement. 

Why do people pose this question and not post before pics?

Unfortunately neither nor the clinic have a pre-op photo of the donor area. 

Yep, looks like a solid case of overharvesting. Could be possible you had thin donor beforehand, but it's doubtful given the surrounding area looks more robust. Can you name the clinic?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zerocool said:

Unfortunately neither nor the clinic have a pre-op photo of the donor area. 

You don't have any pics of your donor saved?

Even different angles of your current situation would help to gauge if your donor is naturally thin but only you can answer that.

The picture 3 years pre HT tells me the donor was already slightly thin.

That plus the the surgeon extracting from the typical 5-6 square inch space we see so often. 🙄

Was it over harvested or simply not spread out enough?

Its six of one, half-dozen of the other.

• Like 2

Well I will try to be as objective as I can. 

Your donor area doesn't look too bad bro.

I would say it's slightly overharvested yes but not too badly overharvested. I have seen much much worse coming from terrible hairmills such as AsliTarcan, Arenamed, Sanantur or even some bad spanish surgeons like Eduardo Lopez Bran....

Now,  your donor area is in bad shape considering the fact you said you went to a reputable clinic...This is definitely not how it should look like with this particular length of hair...Looks like poor extracting skills...Especially for such a low number of grafts....I hope they offered refund so you can go to a better place for donor repair with beard grafts for example or get SMP

How many grafts so you have left anf could you go for a second surgery ? 

I cannot answer that question. You would need some of the best HT surgeons in the world to examine you in person in order to  determine that. 

You could probably go for a second round but extremely carefully with a repair expert. 

Thanks for all the help.

I can share that any doctor I've seen in person has expressed no concern about my donor, which is difficult for me to reconcile with the feedback I've received from doctors and community members looking at my photos.

I reached out to the clinic that did the procedure asking for explanations but have not heard back yet.

Can this forum recommend which doctor would be best-suited for my next procedure to increase density at the top?

Edited by zerocool