Beard grafts for HT

As I'm reaching my 7th month post op I'm currently researching my options for a second HT as I'm not going to get a full density from the first HT, which is ok as at the moment I'm already quite happy with the results. However I believe it can be improved.

What I noticed is that some of you used grafts from your beard to implant into your scalp. As my beard hairs are twice to three times as thick as the hairs on the side of my head I wonder if that would be an option for me.

Also, how do beard hairs feel after a year? Do they blend in with the non-beard scalp hairs or do they stay thick and you can feel it as well?

Another option for me would be to use: chest hairs or neck hairs, they could easily take 5k grafts from my chest without much notice but those are all single grafts plus the growth phases are different but for me somehow much faster, 1.5-2cm a month.

The reason why I'm looking for other donor areas is because I would like to preserve my scalp donor area for the time I will start  thinning on the sides.

I haven't had a beard to scalp HT, so maybe others who have can chime in with their own personal experience. However, you're spot on about the beard hairs being thicker than scalp hair, and for this reason, they're a great option for transplanting into the crown portion of the scalp. You'd want to make sure to use scalp hair for the hairline and frontal portions, but beard and body hair are great ways to get extra coverage for those with more advanced hair loss. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

25 minutes ago, pkipling said:

they're a great option for transplanting into the crown portion of the scalp. 

What I've read is that beard hair should be used as a filler, never as a stand alone to be transplanted on large areas without any other type of hair?

Also, won't beard hair start to curl when it gets longer?

Robert,

When you say that your beard hairs are twice or three times as thick as your scalp hair are you referring to density or the actual thickness of the hair shaft typically measured in microns?

If you are referring to the actual thickness of the hair shaft and they really appear much thicker than your scalp hair, it may not be the best idea to use just beard hair although you could potentially mix them in with additional scalp hair.

I also personally think it’s better to deplete the available scalp donor hair prior to moving to any other part of the body including the face.  Face and body hair in my opinion, is typically better used as filler hair, placed in between and around transplanted scalp hair. That way there’s a better blend and there’s not just one patch of hair that looks different and thicker than the rest.

I hope this helps  

Best Wishes 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, Robbert said:

What I've read is that beard hair should be used as a filler, never as a stand alone to be transplanted on large areas without any other type of hair?

Also, won't beard hair start to curl when it gets longer?

Yeah, you wouldn't want strictly 100% beard or body hair anywhere in your scalp, as it simply won't look natural. But in an area like the crown, which is notorious for being difficult to achieve optimal density, beard and body hair can be a good option to add amongst other hairs, transplanted or otherwise. Of course, this depends on the unique specific qualities of your donor hair, beard hair, body hair, etc. If your beard is a completely different color, texture, etc., it may not be as viable of an option. Different surgeons will have a different perspective on how best to use it based on your specific circumstances, so getting some consultations with a few of your top surgeons is a great place to start. They'll be able to look at the big picture and help formulate a longterm plan based on your end goals and the resources you have. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56