Does Shedding Always Occur?

Does shedding of the transplanted hair ALWAYS occur? I've read it happens 2-3 weeks after surgery. I'm 3 weeks post-op and the hair has not shed and is in fact growing. Is it possible shedding may not occur and the hair just grows directly without shedding? If so, is that a good thing?

Edited by hairyharry

No, some guys do not have shedding. I think you need wolverine genes to pull it off though. 

There was one guy on this forum - I forgot his name - he went to a British doc I think and he had zero shedding. His hair transplant basically looked "final form" mere weeks post-op. 

It was amazing. His thread is at least 1 yr old if you want to try searching for it. 

• Like 1

No, it doesn't allows occur.  In roughly 5% of people, the hair continues to grow rather than shed. It's totally normal for shedding not to have happened significantly 3 weeks post-operatively, though.  You could very well start shedding in a week or two.  You may not, but the likely outcome is that you will.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hairyharry said:

Does shedding of the transplanted hair ALWAYS occur? I've read it happens 2-3 weeks after surgery. I'm 3 weeks post-op and the hair has not shed and is in fact growing. Is it possible shedding may not occur and the hair just grows directly without shedding? If so, is that a good thing?

Do you have a thread with your procedure ? 
be good to see pics ? 
who did your procedure ?

• Like 1

Not uncommon to shed weeks 4-6 but very uncommon to not shed at all. So, odds are that you'll still shed. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

10 hours ago, hairyharry said:

It is possible that shedding may not occur at all in some cases. Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1