Is 9 months post-op too early for a 2nd FUT?

So I was NW4-5 before I underwent 2200 grafts FUT surgery that was sprinkled and dusted all over the frontal and mid scalp. My verdict? not impressed but I understand that you can get so mush with such a small number. And honestly a second round just seems inevitable to me for adding density in the frontal third and refining the hairline design.

So am I risking the grafts in any way by having a 2nd transplant only after 9 months, and what drawbacks that can happen if I went along?

It is likely you are still the same pattern - but with hair.  You typically want to give it a good 12 months to mature the results.  Nothing wrong with moving forward a bit quicker. You'll just have both procedures growing at the same time. This will yield the most results in a shorter amount of time.  You do, however, want to wait 8+ mo to allow the scar to heal before doing it again.  Remember, it is common for a doctor to re-excise the original scar.

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

From personal experience… be careful in going for another FUT too soon, you don’t want any potential risk of the scar stretching… this happened to me and i regretted it. I had my 2nd FUT approx 12 months after the 1st. It’s difficult to tell how the laxity will be without giving it a chance to properly recover, it also depends on who is doing the FUT

50 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

It is likely you are still the same pattern - but with hair.  You typically want to give it a good 12 months to mature the results.  Nothing wrong with moving forward a bit quicker. You'll just have both procedures growing at the same time. This will yield the most results in a shorter amount of time.  You do, however, want to wait 8+ mo to allow the scar to heal before doing it again.  Remember, it is common for a doctor to re-excise the original scar.

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

Yes, currently on daily .5m duta and minoxidil. and as much as I would love to stay my hair loss is stabilized, you just cant be so sure when it comes to progressive conditions such as AGA. but it is halted for the meantime at least.

38 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

Could we have some more details for your FUT? Who the Dr/Clinic was and if you can share any pics? Not many FUTs are being performed these days, was it in the US? Thanks 🙏 

Actually I went to one of the very few, single digit old guards still doing FUT in Egypt. I had a consultation and he opined that FUT is most suitable for me, for being a 24 with such aggressive pattern and deemed FUE just too risky even with preventive treatment. which I think is the right choice even having to trade it off with a liner scar

27 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

From personal experience… be careful in going for another FUT too soon, you don’t want any potential risk of the scar stretching… this happened to me and i regretted it. I had my 2nd FUT approx 12 months after the 1st. It’s difficult to tell how the laxity will be without giving it a chance to properly recover, it also depends on who is doing the FUT

that seems reasonable but cant scalp exercises help to mitigate the laxity problem? 

2 minutes ago, lastfolliculestanding said:

that seems reasonable but cant scalp exercises help to mitigate the laxity problem? 

For sure, how is the scar looking at the moment? I would be interested to see your pics. I’m not aware of the Drs/Clinics in Egypt, how did you end up choosing them? Be good to have the name of the Dr/Clinic 👍🏽

11 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

For sure, how is the scar looking at the moment? I would be interested to see your pics. I’m not aware of the Drs/Clinics in Egypt, how did you end up choosing them? Be good to have the name of the Dr/Clinic 👍🏽

His name is Dr. Ahmed Nour-Eldin. And for being nationally renowned and board certified I made the choice to have it locally instead of abroad. One thing you will find difficult when choosing a surgeon in Egypt is the meager and utterly lacking display of before and after photos. Which I get it, it's still a taboo here, but it makes navigating the thicket of good and bad surgeons extremely difficult. 

My scar is healing nicely for being 6 months only. Hope with time it will contract more. I have no photos for a fair comparison between pre/postop. So you have to take my word for it— ok-ish, mostly single, good angles and direction. Just the density is not there and I honestly don't get his thought process to cover front to midscalp with such a miniscule number of grafts. But maybe he was testing ground or settling base or something 

20220514_000946.thumb.jpg.bd373013be0ce5619473b0227f96ea61.jpg

Definitely too early to get another hair transplant. At the least, wait 1 year. You also have more growing from your prior surgery. You won't see full results for about 1.5 years

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

1 minute ago, lastfolliculestanding said:

Exactly, ear to ear. It's just easier to show the scar over the parietal area compared to the occipital which can be easily missed 

From what I can see in the pic you’re hair looks good 👍🏽 

Edited by J.A.C

17 minutes ago, Future Hair Doc said:

Definitely too early to get another hair transplant. At the least, wait 1 year. You also have more growing from your prior surgery. You won't see full results for about 1.5 years

Thanks for the input. But wouldn't all the grafts have sprouted and by the 9 months mark the growth left will be maturation and thickening of hair caliber? 

25 minutes ago, lastfolliculestanding said:

Thanks for the input. But wouldn't all the grafts have sprouted and by the 9 months mark the growth left will be maturation and thickening of hair caliber? 

Everyone is different. In many patients it can take 1.5 years to see full results with maturation and thickening. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.