Will these vellus hairs mature into actual hairs that grow long

I have been using minoxidil for 3 months now and have a lot of vellus growth covering all the areas where isn’t right now. Will these mature into real hairs or will I need a transplant to fill it in and add density 

0F5A64C1-9E71-4BF6-9D12-B9D740A27409.jpeg

66E002AA-9C55-4284-99EC-5AB449578AF3.jpeg

4866253F-9F5A-4C23-A77C-5E379050759E.jpeg

8ACBCC79-C9D1-4916-8F78-866E71988326.jpeg

BDAC2D18-9AB7-47D9-B04A-2C811A00355E.jpeg

i cant tell you since it doesn't do it for me, but maybe after a year some did, but i can't notice because i didnt have any picture to compare them.

either way, vellus hair adds abit of density and coloring to make your head seems fuller so.... its still a win?

OP, you should start Microneedling once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm with a derma pen to try and maximise your results with Minoxidil. 

It will probably help get you much closer to see if that is possible than just using Minoxidil alone. 

• Like 1

Looks like a maturing hairline to me. If these hairs will grow out to actual hair, isn't sure. But what is sure, is that you shouldn't do a hair transplant at this stage, or at that position for creating a new hairline. It would be way to aggressive. 

What is your age? 

Ros,

it said that an individual should use Rogaine for 4 to 6 months before determining whether or not it’s working. However, that’s only for hair to begin growing. It takes up to a year or so to see which hairs will continue to grow and become terminal.

The truth is, when I used Rogaine, I also experienced a number of small vellus hairs that grew as a result of using minoxidil. However, they never really grew, developed and matured. I don’t know why they didn’t but it just looked like peach fuzz as long as I used Rogaine. And I used it twice a day consistently for over a year.

Perhaps you are different, so since you’ve only used minoxidil for three months, give it a good nine more months to see if they continue to grow, develop and mature. If they don’t, you can determine whether or not minoxidil is worth continuing or not. Keep in mind that it might also be helping to keep some of the other miniaturizing hair.  So stopping its use might do more than just making the small, vellus hairs disappear.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.