Taking proscar/propecia before an op

dub09

Hi all,

I have started taking a quarter tablet of proscar daily for the past month or so.

However I have a small surgical procedure coming up shortly (non hair related) and my surgeon told me not to take proscar for ten days before as he said most hairloss drugs increase blood flow and may cause excessive bleeding during/straight after the operation. He didn't know much about proscar but said this as a precaution. Should I stop taking it to be on the safe side?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think Proscar is really related to bloodflow, but if you want to be sure, I think it's OK to miss a few days of Finasteride. Some of the guys here take a month off it now and then to let their bodies take a break.

He didn't know much about proscar but said this as a precaution.

A doctor who doesn't know much about finasteride is not a good indication of an educated doctor.

This drug has been on the market for over a decade and is widely known and used for BPH.

my surgeon told me not to take proscar for ten days before as he said most hairloss drugs increase blood flow

Finasteride DOES NOT increase blood flow. It inhibits the formation of an analog of testosterone known as Di-HydroTestosterone.

take care...

Xxy and mmhce thank you for your responses. I will stay off it just in case but good to know it will not cause excessive bleeding. Also good to know that some guys take a break from it from time to time.

Mmhce, I would imagine he should know but to be fair to him I didn't go into much detail and didn't say it was finasteride. My own GP didn't know what proscar was until she looked it up.