HT Post-Op Timeline / Milestones?

Hi All,

I'm scheduled to have an HT in a week and was curious about the timeline for the major milestones post-op.
I know that time can vary with different people so just looking for a general timeframe so I can set realistic expectations for recovery.

1. When the new transplanted follicles are in the "safe zone" and cannot be accidentally knocked out.
2. When you can start showering and sleeping as normal.
3. The redness in recipient area goes away.
4. Sutures removed (FUT only).
5. New transplanted hair falls out and you look just like you did before the surgery. i.e., No one can tell you've had a HT.
6. New hair start to grow.
7. Recipient area (e.g., hairline) density has improved significantly.
8. Full benefit from the HT. i.e., hare has fully grown to full density.

Edited by hairyharry

1. Ten days post operation,
2. Two weeks onwards I believe,
3. Three - five months (depending on age it seems),
4. Unsure,
5. After around four weeks,
6. Two months onwards,
7. Six months onwards,
8. One year later.

Of course everyone is different,  but these are around the average ball park.
A lot of users say that the full result is final by 18 months however this is the maturity of the hair rather than density.

You should follow the guidelines your doctor will provide you for aftercare, each doctor gives different guidelines also.

Here is my doctor's for example;
image.thumb.png.aec3f03dd16bd770758b2fdb09f9d1ec.png

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1

1.  About 10 days.

2.  A week.  I was quite rough with the grafts starting on day 9 and had no problems dislodging any.  Don't pick at the scabs.  Rub them off and don't rush it.

3.  Haven't gotten that far, the above post and general consensus seem reasonable.

4.  10-14 days.

5.  They fall out anywhere from 3-7 weeks afterwards, but you won't look normal because there will still be pinkness/redness.  Also, if the portion of your native hair where grafts were placed (to increase density in that area) was shaved, then that area will be shorter than the rest of your native hair.  You will not look normal after 4 weeks.  And you may very well still have some hairs yet to shed.

6.  Haven't gotten that far, the above post and general consensus seem reasonable.  

7.  Haven't gotten that far, the above post and general consensus seem reasonable.  

8.  Haven't gotten that far, the above post and general consensus seem reasonable.

Good luck.

Edited by John1991
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hairyharry said:

Hi All,

I'm scheduled to have an HT in a week and was curious about the timeline for the major milestones post-op.
I know that time can vary with different people so just looking for a general timeframe so I can set realistic expectations for recovery.

1. When the new transplanted follicles are in the "safe zone" and cannot be accidentally knocked out.
2. When you can start showering and sleeping as normal.
3. The redness in recipient area goes away.
4. Sutures removed (FUT only).
5. New transplanted hair falls out and you look just like you did before the surgery. i.e., No one can tell you've had a HT.
6. New hair start to grow.
7. Recipient area (e.g., hairline) density has improved significantly.
8. Full benefit from the HT. i.e., hare has fully grown to full density.

1.  About 10 days

2.  Showering as "normal", as in being rough with the area, I'd say be safe and wait half a month.  I personally waited 1 month, but that's just being ultra cautious.  You're probably fine as early as 10 days.

3.  Can easily take 3-5 months.

4.  No idea.

5.  Doesn't happen, because usually redness remains after the follicles shed.  Shedding ends at like 2 months though.

6.  2.5 months +.  Can take longer for some people.

7.  6 months should see pretty good density.  Only gets better from there.

8.  1+ years.  Sometimes 18+ months (especially for crown).

• Like 1

Check out my journey here: