Question regarding density

Hello I just had hair transplant done 2 months ago now and I was looking at the picture of my scalp from the second day of surgery and felt like there isn’t much density for transplanted hair. I’ll put a picture and some feedback would be nice. Thank you 

6A9AE7F5-5091-4566-8760-6F53AFB1A821.jpeg

Do you have pictures of before surgery? What was the name of the doctor/clinic? 

Any pics of the donor area? 

• Like 1

Senku,

In order to give you adequate advice and an informed opinion, it would be helpful if you could provide us with some surgical details including the number of grafts you received.  Also, could you post some preoperative pictures so we can see how much natural hair you had in the recipient area prior to surgery?

But based on the photos, I agree that the density of the transplanted hair won’t be significant.  But keep in mind that hair transplant surgery is about supply versus demand. You have a larger area to cover and as a result, decisions had to be made in terms of using the grafts wisely to provide you with the most cosmetically significant improvement   

I imagine you’ve had conversations with your surgeon and a strategic plan was made and discussed?  What are your hair restoration goals and where they discussed with your surgeon?

My guess is that the plan was to cover as much of the balding area as possible and transplant hair in between some of the natural hair to give you a lot of coverage and moderately increased density.

The second step, depending on how much natural hair you have would be to go back for a second procedure and add density to the area and potentially refine the hairline if necessary.

Did your surgeon speak to you about needing a second procedure to add density?

Keep in mind that most individuals with advanced baldness require more than a single hair transplant to meet their ultimate goals. For instance, I had a total of 4 hair transplants to achieve a full looking head of hair.  

Long story short, hair restoration should be looked at as a process rather than a single procedure.  You’ve taken the first step and it will very likely provide you with a good bit of improvement. But you may need to go back for a second or even third procedure to meet your long-term goals. Some of this also depends on the risks of future hair loss.  Thus, your surgeon should always make sure there is enough available donor hair left in the event additional procedures are needed.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Senku,

4000 grafts is a good number however, you have significant hair loss so to be honest, I wouldn’t get your heart set on a plethora of density.  In other words, since hair transplant surgery Is about supply versus demand and donor hair is limited, you’re honestly not going to be able to achieve a great deal of density given the vast area of baldness to cover.

Even if you have significant donor hair density, you look like you’re around a Norwood class 6 or even possibly borderline 7 although I would have to see more pictures. Typically those with that degree of hair loss can achieve moderate density in the front (although the hairline will be conservative) with a fade into the back where it will most likely be pretty thin. But most people prefer that to a larger bald spot in the back.

i’m hoping that your surgeon explained all this to you because I would shutter to think that you were told you’ll be able to achieve a full head of hair. Hair transplant surgery can be quite miraculous but it’s not a hair loss cure and most people never restore a full head of hair with surgery.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

IMHO, 4000 grafts will produce a significant cosmetic difference and wondering what level the grafted density was considering the recipient area was barren of native hair…also, there was probably a considerable amount of single hair grafts to build a new hairline…did they provide you with a breakdown of your graft count?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY