Shock loss 3 months later

Hey

Is it possible to get shock loss after 3 months? The surgeon implanted hair into existing hair to thicken it up. It all started growing together at first and was really good and really thick but over the last couple of months the hairline seems to have receded and the area has become thinner too. I am not sure if this is new hair or original hair but I wondered if it’s possible to get shock loss and shedding so late on?

is the result I saw at first with all the hair growing together going to be the end result or have I lost hair as it is worse 5 months after than it was 2 months after

Edited by mman21uk

Man21uk,

Believe it or not, it is very typical and normal to experience shock loss three months after hair transplant surgery.  Shock loss, also referred to as telogen effluvium is a temporary hair loss condition that occurs because of some stressor. In this case, surgery is the stressor that created trauma to the scalp.  The temptation hair fall typically occurs between 8 to 12 weeks after the procedure.

I experienced shock loss after all four of my procedures, some worse than others.  It typically occurred for me around the 10 week mark.  I know it can be daunting, create anxiety and cause all kinds of doubt associated with the procedure and wondering whether you will truly experience the desired result. But as long as you selected a reputable surgeon, you should not have any problems.

As they say, welcome to the doldrums. It’s a temporary state where you will look “worse“ before you look better.  Hang in there though, new growth is right around the corner and the shocked hair will also return in time.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.