I am positive (covid) 2 months and a week after my procedure

Hello guys, 

I was unfortunately tested positive 2 months and a week after getting my ht done, and I am now wondering if there are any tips regarding that, when healing after a ht.

Do you think that covid can affect the progress of my hair transplant at that stage?

I am fully vaccinated & boosted, and my symptoms for now are not too bad. Just a little bit of fever, typical sore throat and some coughing

My understanding is that, like native hairs, there is nothing else apart from telogen effluvium that may happen to both one's native hairs & transplanted ones, due to covid. But, as it is normal and as I have not yet fully healed, I am curious to know if covid can somehow affect graft survival.

I guess I will find out eventually, so far the progress has been smooth 

Actually, I caught Covid not long after my procedure. Nothing happened. Luckily it was like a mild cold. I actually think it may help some since you body ramps up the immune system. This will likely heal your HT a little quicker. 

Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just take lots of vitamins C, D and Zinc. 

44 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Hi, covid has absolutely 0 effect on your hair transplant results. 

Immune system and healing are separate things sir. :)

I agree with your 1st sentence but not your 2nd. 

Immune Cells Are Chief Orchestrators of Healing

The redness and swelling that follow the hemostasis phase occur as a result of the dilation of local blood vessels to allow immune cells to enter the damaged site. The first responders are cells known as neutrophils and these remove foreign material and bacteria from the wound.

The next wave of immune cells to arrive at the scene includes monocytes. These cells normally reside within the spleen and bone marrow, and can be mobilized in response to injury or infection. Once in the wound, these cells can differentiate into cells called macrophages, which coordinate the wound healing response. Macrophages can be thought of as the immune system’s “construction workers.” They clear the damaged site of debris in order to lay the foundations for tissue repair.  These cells were originally described as their name suggests as “big eaters” (macro = big, phage = eat). They use their “eating” capacity in order to clean the site before repair occurs. This lays the groundwork for the proliferative phase where macrophages resolve the inflammatory phase and shift towards tissue repair.

I can send you the link to the Harvard paper sited above. 

• Administrators

No need to worry, I was positive with Covid last month just before my second month. There’s nothing to worry about, if anything it’s the stress of having Covid that could affect the growth, rather than the virus itself.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, JoeMan said:

I agree with your 1st sentence but not your 2nd. 

Immune Cells Are Chief Orchestrators of Healing

The redness and swelling that follow the hemostasis phase occur as a result of the dilation of local blood vessels to allow immune cells to enter the damaged site. The first responders are cells known as neutrophils and these remove foreign material and bacteria from the wound.

The next wave of immune cells to arrive at the scene includes monocytes. These cells normally reside within the spleen and bone marrow, and can be mobilized in response to injury or infection. Once in the wound, these cells can differentiate into cells called macrophages, which coordinate the wound healing response. Macrophages can be thought of as the immune system’s “construction workers.” They clear the damaged site of debris in order to lay the foundations for tissue repair.  These cells were originally described as their name suggests as “big eaters” (macro = big, phage = eat). They use their “eating” capacity in order to clean the site before repair occurs. This lays the groundwork for the proliferative phase where macrophages resolve the inflammatory phase and shift towards tissue repair.

I can send you the link to the Harvard paper sited above. 

Phd material, 

Thank you for your effort, really appreciate it

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

No need to worry, I was positive with Covid last month just before my second month. There’s nothing to worry about, if anything it’s the stress of having Covid that could affect the growth, rather than the virus itself.

Thanks Melvin! 

I recently saw your interview with Konior, (great content by the way, really useful!) and it looks like he thinks that the result of a good transplant primarily depends on the doctor. From what I've read so far, It sounds like stress can only cause some telogen effluvium, (although I think that has to be severe stress, high bpm or abnormal oxygen levels or bp) so worst case scenario the result of your transplant comes a bit later than expected.

Thank you for the information, we really appreciate it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GHTJourneya said:

Hello guys, 

I was unfortunately tested positive 2 months and a week after getting my ht done, and I am now wondering if there are any tips regarding that, when healing after a ht.

Do you think that covid can affect the progress of my hair transplant at that stage?

I am fully vaccinated & boosted, and my symptoms for now are not too bad. Just a little bit of fever, typical sore throat and some coughing

My understanding is that, like native hairs, there is nothing else apart from telogen effluvium that may happen to both one's native hairs & transplanted ones, due to covid. But, as it is normal and as I have not yet fully healed, I am curious to know if covid can somehow affect graft survival.

I guess I will find out eventually, so far the progress has been smooth 

Sorry to hear that and I hope its a minor case. I had it pretty bad in january and delayed my procedure. I would take having covid 2 months after a procedure versus having to delay your surgery for months, every time. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery!