Hat After Hair Transplant

Hey Everyone - I have a procedure scheduled for early June. Where I live this is of course the start of the warm and sunny months. I am concerned because I spend a lot of time outside in the summer months and I had not given enough thought to protecting the transplants from the sun. I consulted with my doc and he said you can wear a hat after 4 days but need to protect from the sun for 3-6 months (seems really long to me). 

This is all fine, but again considering the fact that I’m outside all the time, I’m worried about the sun having an impact. Likewise I don’t want to wear a hat all the time because that just seems worrying like it could also have a negative impact on the new hairs. I know it’s fine occasionally, but if I’m gonna have a hat on for several hours a day every day of the week…I don’t know just seems worrying.

So anyway, I’m looking for opinions and for experiences with what others have done with respect to hat wearing after a HT

Thanks!

Hey guys, hope you are doing well.

At my clinic I was given this big goofy 'fisherman-like' hat that I was allowed to wear from the second day onwards.
It was used to protect from the sun.etc.

As long as your hat is not TIGHT, you should be safe.
I was wearing my own hat after the first month mark.

Going to throw in a confession;
When returning back from Turkey, I was not allowed into my country until 10 days (due to covid laws), so I had to stay in the neighbouring country.
About one week after the surgery, I went shoulder deep into the ocean at the beach!
This is something you're obviously not meant to do, but I didn't have any complications from it.

Just food for thought, feel free to check out my hair transplant thread, I'm on month 6 now. :)
image.thumb.png.1a4aa0a7270786f45b2001e3aac3b0cf.png

Edited by SeanToman

4 hours ago, gxm100 said:

Hey Everyone - I have a procedure scheduled for early June. Where I live this is of course the start of the warm and sunny months. I am concerned because I spend a lot of time outside in the summer months and I had not given enough thought to protecting the transplants from the sun. I consulted with my doc and he said you can wear a hat after 4 days but need to protect from the sun for 3-6 months (seems really long to me). 

This is all fine, but again considering the fact that I’m outside all the time, I’m worried about the sun having an impact. Likewise I don’t want to wear a hat all the time because that just seems worrying like it could also have a negative impact on the new hairs. I know it’s fine occasionally, but if I’m gonna have a hat on for several hours a day every day of the week…I don’t know just seems worrying.

So anyway, I’m looking for opinions and for experiences with what others have done with respect to hat wearing after a HT

Thanks!

Did they tell you how it would negatively affect your hair transplant if you wear a hat for several hours a day? How about a paper surgical hat? 

• Valued Contributor

I wouldn't worry at all about wearing a hat off and on during the day. From my experience I began to wear a cap (due to the heat here in Summer) about a week after the procedure. Otherwise I didn't bother with a cap anywhere else. I went to work two days after I returned to India and didn't worry about what people thought. All the best!